Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2006, 08:23 PM   #1
doecon

Default 19th Century Yogja Keris with silver pendok

A aged damascus blade keris with silver pendok, originating from Yogjakarta. Blade is late 18th or early 19th century made and has an opening in the center of the blade "Pamengkan Jagad".

The Damascus pamor type "Teja Kinurung"

The - "Yogya Gayaman" Style - sheath is made of lighter hardwood and has a handmade silver "pendok". The silver cover has detailed Javanese mythological drawings on the front and on the back a name in Javanese script (Wuryadara Karyapa?) with a fine leaf decor at the bottom. Sheath, mendak (rings under the handle) and pendok are original from the same time! Handle might be more recently added.

All is in good condition, age considered. Sheath has an old crack, pendok has some pitting and mendak is missing one gemstone. See detailed pics below.

Dapur (bladestyle) = Tilam Upih
Size
Overall 19" (49 cm)
Blade 13 3/4" (35,4 cm)
Blade wide (under handle) 3" (7,5 cm)

US$150 starting price: for auction now see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Yogya-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images

doecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Sepang

Default jogja keris ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
A aged damascus blade keris with silver pendok, originating from Yogjakarta. Blade is late 18th or early 19th century made and has an opening in the center of the blade "Pamengkan Jagad".
hai doecon,
i think you must learn more before justifying the keris from jogja or solo. not just because it used wrangka in jogja style, then you can adjust that this keris from jogja. the wrangka actually solo style but has revision in jogja style. the pendok in banyumas or solo style. the hilt is solo style.
if look blade, pamor and style, it seems like a madura keris.
i think you can read again some opinion at this link :
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2339
so, think carefully and learning more if you want to adjust the keris before offering it.

rgds, sepang.
Sepang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Sepang

Default jogja keris ?

Sepang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 10:57 AM   #4
doecon

Not really sure what you're trying to tell.

The keris posted above is not a madura keris. The keris is left in its original style "as found". Pendok has nice detailed silverworks (feel free to call it Banyumasan, but I wouldnt). As mentioned the hilt has probably been added more recently (who knows maybe in Solo. So what do you mean with "adjust the keris" ?

The link you provided is a discussion about a madura keris recently sold on eBay, or more specific "if that was a catch or not". I really dont see the relevance of that for this item, unless you mean that it also could be a catch. In which case I would agree.

If you need more detailed pictures of the pendok let me know
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote