Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2024, 08:52 AM   #1
Pertinax

Default Flyssa

Received Flyssa, this is the first item in my collection.

Total length in sheath - 420 mm, knife length - 395 mm, blade length - 300 mm, thickness at the handle - 9 mm, weight - 203 g

Comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Yuri
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2024, 08:55 AM   #2
Pertinax

More photos
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2024, 12:23 PM   #3
kronckew

Nice one. I like flyssas. A larger wide sword one is on my wish list. Two of my short ones for information:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #4
Rafngard

I really enjoy these. It's outside my area of collecting, but I have a few

and on that note, here's my three.

Have fun,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While the flyssa has been discussed it seems endlessly here on the forum over many years, it seems worthwhile to look at some of the peculiarities of these intriguing swords for those interested in the historic and ethnic associations.

One thing foremost is the question of how in the world were these used? There has of course been constant debate, but no conclusive answer. No records of them being used in combat is known to the best of my knowledge. It seems these are depicted in illustrations of Kabyle tribesmen, but static and not in combat depictions.

My own personal opinion, based on research over years and individuals I have spoken with have noted that these were primarily the swords of young men, which were traditionally made for them as a 'rite of passage'. These maintained certain familiar talismanic and apotropaic symbols and motif, but there seem to have been certain personal devices applying individually to the recipient.

The first recorded note of this type of sword was c.1827 in a reference to a diplomatic circumstance, using the term. It would seem that these were likely around much earlier of course, and IMO developed from deep bellied blade Ottoman yataghan forms of late 16th c. The term 'flyssa' comes from the French term which is believed to derive from the Iflysen tribe of Kabyles who were observed with them and seem to have been primary producers of them.

According to LaCoste (the only specific reference I know of, in French) the form itself seems to have waned by the latter years of the 19th c. however as tradition prevails it seems certain that local interpretations continued.
The example here seems to be of that character, as the commonly seen triangles linear along the back is absent. This was it seems almost invariably present, and represents the 'fibula' (if I recall correctly) which is an important apotropaic in folk religions in many tribal societies who nominally follow Islam.

I attach my own example, and note the curious device with an almost hourglass shape, which I believe represents a drum.
I would note another great mystery with the flyssa is the perplexing apparent zoomorphic figure on the hilt pommel, which to me looks somewhat like a VERY styized camel head. Naturally that is a Rohrschach reaction so others may see it differently.

In all, these are among the most fascinating North African swords, and its understandable why collectors admire them so much. They are exotic and mysterious. While IMO they are Kabyle interpretations of early Ottoman yataghans, the Ottomans never actually conquered them. Still, they very much admired the yataghan, and desired them, so it seems natural that they would imitate the form, adding of course their own motif and elements.

The French apparently captured numbers of these in 1857, and examples in the same form familiar as with example I attach are known in the French Foreign Legion Museum in Paris. However, again, no mention is made of these in combat, so presumably they acquired these from households in static circumstances.

There are however many variations in size, and for that matter blades etc. so it is possible some may have found combative use. Most seem to be in category of traditional or ceremonial use, weddings etc.

Hopefully noting these talking points might encourage further input, there are many perspectives on the esoterica of these fascinating swords.

Excellent example Pertinax, well representing the very personal nature of these as a form, with its maker keeping close as possible to regular motif.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; Yesterday at 09:06 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #6
Pertinax

Beautiful blades!

kronckew, Leif and Jim McDougall thanks for the info.

Last edited by Pertinax; Yesterday at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added by author