Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th October 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Interesting Kampilan with some unusual features.

40 Inches or one Meter OAL. (As usual)

Some unusual features

1. Scabbard has a 3/4 wrap around iron band on the scabbard, leaving an opening on one side for the sword to cut through. There is also an place where and iron band once was on the scabbard tip (now held in place by string)

2. "Jaws" seem truncated on the larger part of the handle, but by examination of the end of the wood, it was made that way, or was broken and the end refinished a very long time ago.

3. Most, if not all, of my other kampilans have two rows of holes along the outer edge of the larger "jaw" where hair was plugged in at one time. This one never had any holes or hair.

(No comments about it belonging in the family of one of the bald forum members!)

It has been in a family collection for about one hundred years according to the guy I bought it from.

I plan to stop the active rust (not much there) and Renaissance Wax the entire piece. I am making an effort not to overclean anymore.

Comments?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Looks very nice Bill .
The only thing I'd question is the staple guard; it doesn't seem to stand proud from the crossguard as most do and appears to be of Brass .
That doesn't look functional; a later addition ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Looks very nice Bill .
The only thing I'd question is the staple guard; it doesn't seem to stand proud from the crossguard as most do and appears to be of Brass .
That doesn't look functional; a later addition ?

Actually, Rick, the staple guard was pushed through the other side. I just pushed it back and now it does "stand proud." If you look at the second picture, you can sort of see the other side.

It does seem to be brass. Could be later addition, but the story I got from the guy I bought it from is that it has not been touched in a very long time. One of these "attic finds" that was in someone's family over 100 years.

The seller was very un-knowledgeable about this sword. Did not have a clue as to what it was.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
kino

Again Bill, you never disappoint me with your collection.

I have seen a few Kampilan scabbards secured together in this manner.I believe they even used rattan in place of metal clips.
Having the clips securing the scabbard would allow the user to just slip the blade back into its sheath and not having to waste time with binding it together with rattan or string.

As for the holes where the hair goes into, it was probably the owners preference at time of placing the order. I have a few older one w/o the holes. I even have one with one big rectangular hole. I posted a photo of it for discussion a while back.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Actually, Rick, the staple guard was pushed through the other side. I just pushed it back and now it does "stand proud." If you look at the second picture, you can sort of see the other side.

It does seem to be brass. Could be later addition, but the story I got from the guy I bought it from is that it has not been touched in a very long time. One of these "attic finds" that was in someone's family over 100 years.

The seller was very un-knowledgeable about this sword. Did not have a clue as to what it was.
Gotta love Attic Finds Bill .

I have seen spring wire used to nail the scabbard halves together .
Note holes on one edge only and the way the inside is carved .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote