Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
kronckew

Default sudanese islamic dagger?

hi y'all;

don't usually like african stuff (other than flyssa's, spears, assegai & knobkerries) but thought i''d gamble a small amt. on this one as i liked it & i won it for next to nothing. is it what it says it is? if so, my 1st sudanese one (had my eye on a shotel recently but it went over my budget)

Sudanese Rumbek Jur Scrimshaw Bone Knife

looks like a bit of cleanup and oiling in order on arrival.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 09:25 PM   #2
spiral

Hi Kronkew, Yep thats a Sudanese dagger indeed, Congratulations!

The Rumbek Jur are a tribe, but I dont know whether this is there type of dagger, I expect one of the African collectors will know.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 08:33 AM   #3
katana

Hi Kronckew,
check this thread

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=triple

Regards David

Last edited by katana; 13th April 2007 at 11:23 AM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 11:31 AM   #4
katana

I am not so sure that these daggers originated with the Rumbek Jur .....these two knives have similarities to each other...but not to 'ours'

http://southernsudan.prm.ox.ac.uk/details/1930.86.11/

http://southernsudan.prm.ox.ac.uk/details/1930.86.12/

Kronckew, I have seen a number of these daggers (straight and curved) without a scabbard, and assumed that they were originally part of a 'set' (of 3)..yours is the first I have seen with its own sheath. (perhaps a later 'addition'... )
Old 13th April 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
kronckew

thanks, i seem to be getting into another interesting area of collecting here. i'll have to have a good look at the scabbard when it arrives. the photo i have is not the most informative, but i do not see any method of carry, belt loops or ring or any other, so it may have been a later one just to cover the blade for the last owner.

as it's the UK, i like to think that it came from the estate of a british soldier who picked it up from it's original owner who no longer needed it, on the omdurman plains outside khartoum on the 2nd of september 1898....Volley by Ranks...........
Old 13th April 2007, 02:01 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
i like to think that it came from the estate of a british soldier who picked it up from it's original owner who no longer needed it, on the omdurman plains outside khartoum on the 2nd of september 1898....[
You.....and me , both as (if proved) it would give provenance to my triple set I do know that the 'triple scabbard' was hung around the neck (with the sheath laying on the chest) or strapped to the top of the arm/ shoulder. If your scabbard is original...perhaps it was just placed under a belt/sash ...Arab style.
Old 16th April 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
... If your scabbard is original...perhaps it was just placed under a belt/sash ...Arab style.
knife arrived today and is soaking in oil to loosen some rust prior to a bit of brass wire-brushing.....

grip is very solid bone, blade fairly thin steel, etching or engraving in arabic appears well done with very smooth lettering edges unlike other etching i've seen, needs a bit of tlc to get rid of some rust. edge is not overly sharp but is not rounded either.

scabbard appears to be a thin wood core covered in a thin brown leather with a neatly sewn seam down one edge. leather continues partway into the scabbard throat and is a bit abraded. the sewing appears to be done in pink thread (maybe faded red?). the scabbard appears to be about a 1/4 in. shy of covering the entire blade. i suspect it's either shrunk or was not original to this dagger. there are no suspension points or signs that there ever were. photos to follow after i tidy it up a bit.
Old 17th April 2007, 02:43 PM   #8
kronckew

couple of new pictures to go along with last post.

obverse

i note that there is a substantial steel pommel on this which is peened on to (hopefully) the end of the through tang...