Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th May 2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Oriental-Arms

Default A Moroccan Koumaya Dagger with a Sheffield Blade

I must admit we were surprised when we first examined this Koumaya dagger. The blade, although lightly rusted when we found it, was looking one of quality and after light cleaning we found the Sheffield marking and the harbor (?) view on the other side of the blade. We have seen quite many Moroccan daggers with French made blades, and this is understood, as Morocco was a French colony for quite some time. But English made blade?? this was a real surprise.

The overall quality of this piece is very high. The silver work suggest late 19 C. dating. For more details on this dagger please see: Very Fine Moroccan Koumaya Dagger with Sheffield Blade
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 08:53 AM   #2
Conogre

I'm impressed, as the blade does not appear to have been reworked in any fashion, but rather specifically made for this weapon.
Perhaps custom made while it's bearer was aquiring an "Oxford education", which later became quite commonplace?
A VERY interesting aquisition Artzi...well done.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 01:07 AM   #3
Justin

Gorgeous knife! This reminds me of some of the Wilkinson blades that were made for the Eastern market,I seem to remeber an old poster that someone had pics of.The poster had various Wilkonson blades that looked like they were meant for saifs and guardes,maybe they did koummyas too?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 02:20 AM   #4
RSWORD

You guys probably already have information on the maker but just in case I did find a small reference to a Singleton and Priestman in Sheffield and they are listed being in business from 1861-1936.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 04:37 AM   #5
rahman

There has also been mention made in the past forums of keris made in Sheffield. I wonder if anyone has more info on this, and perhaps photos. Would such keris also bear the Sheffiled mark, I wonder?
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Rahman , I have sent out the call to see a Sheffield keris many times over the years . I have yet to see one .
It would make my day to do so .

There must be someone , a lurker perhaps ?

Please !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote