Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2023, 04:09 PM   #1
thinreadline

elslewhere I have posted what I believe to be a Chinese polearm which cane out of a large castle like manor house in North Wales along with this scythe type polearm
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2023, 11:46 PM   #2
Peter Hudson

It apppears that many battles included scythes converted to weapons and the example you show may be one of these. My reference at #26 above gives dozens of examples all over Europe and in England plus the museums in which examples may still be seen.

Thanks for adding this example.

The Painting below illustrates Russian Guns being over run by charging Polish soldiers many weilding Scythe weapons. .
Attached Images

Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 02:29 PM   #3
werecow

This thread and particularly the scythe sword above reminds me of this bizarre little sword I picked up a few years ago from a Dutch vendor.

It's about 74cm long out of the scabbard. POB about 9.5cm from the guard.
The blade is not sharpened, or possibly blunted (has about a .5mm edge; no patina and some file marks on the edge that are hard to capture on camera).
I can't comment as to the quality of the steel but it has significant distal taper, from 8mm at the guard to about 3mm at the end of the fuller. It has a few seemingly random letters stamped into it QHUOS and below it W1I and then an upside down 7.
The guard seems to be nickel plated. I think the grip wrapping and washer are some sort of imitation sharkskin and they're not very substantial. The pommel has an obvious nut and bolt construction, but I haven't tried opening it up for fear of damaging something as I am a novice.
The scabbard is rather thin metal and seems to have been blued. The rings are on the inside of the curve, and it has a working locking mechanism that fits the button/clip on the guard.

At first I thought it might be a replacement blade on an old D-guard, but the scabbard is clearly made for it.

I'd love your opinion on it... Since it's a sickle sword and I got it from an area near Belgium, maybe central African (Congo, Ethiopia)? European late 19th/early 20th century april fool's joke? Modern day smithing experiment?
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 29th January 2023 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added pics of sword out of the scabbard
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 06:14 PM   #4
Peter Hudson

Thank you for your pictures and questions. The short answer is I dont know however I did have a good look for similar styles but didnt have any luck except a Japanese Type 32 Cavalry sabre. with a securing device similar to what is seen on your sword. Lets hope a member can narrow this down a bit.. Regards Peter Hudson.
Old 29th January 2023, 09:11 PM   #5
Teisani

National History Museum Bucharest.
Sica discovered at Orodel, Dolj county, Romania.
Falx discovered at Sarmizegetusa Romania.
Attached Images

Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 09:15 PM   #6
Teisani

Depictions of falx on Trajan's Column. Replica at the National History Museum in Bucharest.
Attached Images

Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2023, 10:00 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
The rings are on the inside of the curve ... European late 19th/early 20th century april fool's joke? Modern day smithing experiment?
Have you tried hanging the scabbard (with the sword) by its suspension rings ? does it stay balanced or the weight of knuckle guard tends to twist it ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2023, 12:56 PM   #8
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Have you tried hanging the scabbard (with the sword) by its suspension rings ? does it stay balanced or the weight of knuckle guard tends to twist it ?
It definitely wants to twist.
Old 30th January 2023, 01:22 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

One (crucial) detail the inventor of this 'prototype' didn't ponder on .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2023, 02:26 PM   #10
Peter Hudson

Returning to the original post at #1 on this thread I refer readers to the technique of fighting with the Scythe Weapon seen below. A squad of 12 men could effectively defend against charging Cavalry by mixing Scythe weapons with spear carriers.. It would appear that the greatest danger would be to the horses from the downward slashes of the Scythes. Variant forms are shown in the second chart. Records show that large numbers of Scythemen were included in the Orbat of Polish troops even to the point of over running Russian Artillery positions. Certainly the weapon would have had a psycholigical advantage upon the enemy and the damage would have been enormous.

Peter Hudson.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 30th January 2023 at 04:52 PM.
Old 30th January 2023, 03:45 PM   #11
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
One (crucial) detail the inventor of this 'prototype' didn't ponder on .
Yeah that definitely votes against it ever have been used in practice. I still wonder where / when it came from and what the idea was.