Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Jamdhar Katari on ebay

ebay item 7388252419

I was obviously outbid, but the question is, what is so special about it deserving such a price?
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2006, 08:21 PM   #2
B.I

a great dagger, and if i had seen it, i would have given them a run for their money!!
its not expensive for what it is. without holding it, and spending time with it there is no way of judging the age, but a 16thC date is most likely. i think this is one of the earliest kattaris i have seen and there is always a possibility of an even earlier date. most people tend to chicken out upto the 16thC, and are too reluctant to edge earlier. there is no reason whay these daggers cant date earlier.
i found a really obscure article in a late 19thC journal from the royal asiatic society, that illustrated a similar (ish) style dagger. this was dug up with other pieces and apparantly given to the british museum. this dagger is of utmost importance, as it was excavated along with other more datable objects (ceramics etc). once i find it (not easy in the BM's reserves as its a mess) it wil be a good benchmark for dating daggers such as this one.
artzi did well (but i still would have pushed him further!!)
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote