Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Mandau question

Hello All,
just ended by e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=017
I am not an expert by mandaus and really surprised to win it by this price and get direct the feeling that something wrong with this mandau. Maybe not old?
I hope that experts will tell me if it is an old one or newly made one.
Thank's in advance,
sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Henk

Made for those who travel.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
asomotif

Yep, tourists travel a lot.

Sorry, but this is not the real thing.
Use the search function on this website and search for mandau.
There are numerous threads on mandaus with some of the finest examples around.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I FIRST NOTICED THESE ON EBAY IN 2002 I BOUGHT ONE 6/25/02 AND PAYED MORE THAN YOU DID FOR THIS ONE. THE ONE I BOUGHT IS ABOUT THE SAME AS YOURS EXCEPT IT HAD SOME BEAR TEETH FOR CHARMS ON THE BELT. THE SELLER SAID MY SWORD CAME FROM A LONGHOUSE AT LEBUH ANTU (SECOND DIVISION) SO PERHAPS THAT WAS WHERE THESE WERE MADE
THE BONE CARVINGS ARE OF GOOD QUALITY AND THE FANCY FIBER KNOTS ARE WELL DONE BUT THE REST OF THE SWORD IS NOT OF VERY HIGH QUALITY. THE BLADE IS THIN AND PROBABLY MADE OF BAR STOCK RATHER THAN FORGED FOLDED. THE BRASS INLAY WORK IS NOT BAD BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE BLADE WAS SUBJECTED TO ACID TO ARTIFICIALLY PIT AND AGE IT (I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE PREFERRED IT TO BE LEFT NEW LOOKING) THE HANDLE IS NOT AS WELL CARVED AS THE BONE PANNELS.
THE STORYS I GOT IN KUCHING WERE THAT THEY MADE TRIPS UP THE RIVERS AND INTO THE INTERIOR TO TRADE WITH THE VARIOUS LONGHOUSES AND THAT IS WHERE THEY GOT THEIR SWORDS AND OTHER DAYAK WORKS. PERHAPS SOME VILLAGES STILL HAVE WORKERS WHO MANUFACTURE SWORDS LOCALLY BOTH FOR THEIR VILLAGES USE AND TO SELL TO TOURISTS OR TRADERS. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THERE ARE SOME IN KUCHING AND OTHER BIG CITYS CRANKING THEM OUT FOR THE TOURISTS.
OUR SWORDS WERE NOT MADE FOR LOCAL USE UNLESS IT WAS FOR DRESS OR CEREMONY OR TO PUT ON A SHOW FOR TOURISTS, SO I CONSIDER THESE SWORDS AS MADE ONLY AS A SOUVINEER.

WHILE IT IS ALWAYS MORE DESIRABLE TO BUY A EXCELLENT 200 YEAR OLD SWORD ACTUALLY USED DURING THE HEADHUNTING DAYS THE COMPETICIAN IS WAY OUT OF MY RANGE OF INCOME. SOMETIMES I GOT LUCKY IN THE PAST BUT NOT NOWADAYS SO IF I SEE SOMETHING I LIKE AND CAN AFFORD I WILL TRY FOR IT. I LOOK AT IT LIKE THE MODEL OF CAR FROM A CERTIAN YEAR OR COMPANY SO THIS SWORD WOULD BE (MAKE DAYAK YEAR 2002, MODEL FANCY FACES)
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 23rd February 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: pictures
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Sajen

Thank's for the open words,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote