Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th November 2009, 08:08 PM   #1
archer

Default ID Help please

The first keris is married to the blade. must be modern adhesive. Is the corn cob hilt carved from antler? what kind? E bay demands to know! Pamor, Dapor?
The Second keris a the moment has a Maduran hilt but what is the origin sea cow? Would you please describe the Pamor /Dapor of this blade? The Third Bali Keris has a yellow painted area, is there any significance to the yellow? Seems I may have read that Royal guards painted in yellow or red. Any help on descriptions will be greatly appreciated. Though Keris have caught my eye from
time to time, Ive never gotten onto the proper terms.
Thank you, Archer
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Is the corn cob hilt carved from antler? what kind? E bay demands to know! Pamor, Dapor?
Archer, are you asking these questions so that you can make descriptions to sell them on eBay?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
archer

Default Re ID Help

Basically, realizing some items and terms are prohibited on E Bay then, there's Cites. So I'm mainly interested in getting pamors dapors stated correctly. Maybe general origins. Leaving the remainder up to photos. So Family, will have some knowledge of their worth. The first two are a bigger challenge in that they came to me blades only. Here's the last one that's blade only.
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2009, 11:33 PM   #4
asomotif

Quote:
Any help on descriptions will be greatly appreciated
Sounds a bit like help on your ebay listing

Proper pictures would help, of the entire kris, entire blade, entire scabbard.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 07:12 PM   #5
archer

Default more photos

Questions about first two photos What is this ganja called? Is it likely that the sheath cover is swaasa? the Bali is the only other complete keris in this group.

So I'm interested in being able to identify their blade information as they aren't dressed. all there is to go on is what you see.
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Just a word Archer in case you are wondering why you have received very few responses. I think that people are just a little reluctant to give you information about these keris so that you can then just turn around and sell them. If i were to comment i certainly wouldn't want my info being taken as definitive fact and then used to support your sales pitch. Is the pendok suassa? How could i possibly know from a photograph. Get it tested. Is you hilt ivory? One of them perhaps, but again from these photos we are still just guessing. Photos can be deceptive. Opinions will differ among collectors on many fronts. Pamor names and keris parts will be called different names by different people. One collectors treasure is another's low end blade dependent upon their level knowledge, understanding or even taste. How will you as the seller possibly determine which assessment is more correct?

Last edited by David; 14th November 2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: forgot a word...
Old 13th November 2009, 11:57 PM   #7
archer

Default Re Help

Sorry, If I offended anyone or all. As for testing for swaasa I will but wasn't sure it was warranted. I'll research the Ganja, just thought I'd ask. As I indicated Some of these Keris were not to be sold for various reasons. A few will be as my interests have changed ti Indo Persian Items. I hadn't intended to cite your responses just to be better able to respond to buyers one on one via emails. So, lets let it drop the thread.
Old 14th November 2009, 01:41 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Don't worry Archer, i don't think you offended anyone, i just thought you might be thinking we were a terribly unfriendly sort around here so i was trying to explain possible reasons for the lack of response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
As I indicated Some of these Keris were not to be sold for various reasons.
Sorry, i did not see any indication of this in your posts.