Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2006, 08:42 AM   #1
M ELEY

Talking Selling off some of the collection

Well, it seems I must part with some of my collection to pay off massive bills I've accrued lately. I absolutely suck when it comes to being knowledgable in posting pics, so I thought I'd describe the items and if there's any interest, I'll have to get a neighbor or an old friend (RSword/Rick, you out there!) to help me post pics. I might also send in some photos for posting, but again, if no one is interested, I understand and will sell via eBay or a local antiques mall I frequent. Let me know.
1. Middle-Eastern bazu band/arm guantlet, possibly Turkish. Steel construction with a floral inlay/calligraphy of arabic letters around its circumference. Attached chain mail at wrist with two metal plates for securing device. Ancient crumbling deer skin(?) padding to interior. $175

2.Philippine Campilion, pre 1900. Classic type with carved crocodile-type hilt, carved designs, iron discs to hilt sides, no iron staples (I don't think it ever had them), rattan wrap. Spiked sharp blade with forging flaws, tiny inlaid brass dots (numbered 13, I think). From an old Frederick's sword catalog.$275

3.Japanese wak blade with shira saya hilt (plain wood tsuka only, possibly not original to piece), no sheath. Old sharp blade dating to 1700's(shinto), small nicks/scrapes to old patinaed blade, missing very tip. Temper line not visible through darkened patina. One mukugi ana/tang hole. Blade approx 23". $175

More to come...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:05 AM   #2
M ELEY

Wink More stuff...

4. Arrow grouping- 3 arrows, consisting of one African Congo/pigmy arrow, pitted triangular iron head held in place with grass wrap,bamboo shaft with thinner inset wood head that attaches to point. Grass wrap also holds feather fletching. Second arrow is very long (forgot to measure, but over 30", New Guinea cane shaft with detachable wicked carved dark wood head with minor barbs. I believe these thrown with a special casting stick? Final arrow is Indo-Persian armor-piercing arrow (needle-like triangular shaped steel head with rusting/pitting), reed body (cracked lengthwise, but intact), and notch(feathers long gone). Per Fagan's catalog, dates 1600's from Rajasthan royal arsenal(piles of these kept on hand during seiges) $75 for all

5. Aceh rencong with round/bag-shaped grip of horn (rhino?), nicely carved out hollow in the middle to display a floral pattern. Plain curved steel blade with some staining only. $75

6. Bone dagger from Irian Jaya, upper Sepik River region, suggested to be Dani tribe. This very old example with sharp patinaed bone that I argue could be human (It has a certain anatomical structure found on human tibias-I'm in the medical field). If not human, than definately cassowary. The head is braided with plant fiber mesh with 7 intact cassowary feathers, Jobe's tears(red seeds), shell clusters (cowry). I'm told these old ones with feathers illegal for export now-adays. $125

7. Moroccan powder horn, pre 1900, with large curved dark horn (buffalo?), brass butt abd throat cap decorated with typical Moroccan motiffs, complete with attached brass plug for measuring out powder, two hanger loops, very minor damage/cracks. $75

Still more...
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
M ELEY

Default And finally...

8. Javanese tombak, possibly palace guard. I sent Alan Maisy some pics of this one and this was his opinion. Not your typical tombak, but very substancial/heavy, thick leaf-shaped blade of Suraharta form (central Java), thick middle spine and base with two small holes pierced through it which seem to be as old as the piece, possibly for streamers? Rich patterned pamor of wos wutah (rice pattern), razor-sharp. Red hilt wood split but intact, brass base furrule. Sheath possibly a later addition, but old, cracked wood with one rattan wrap and two copper bands, one decorated with an etched WWI-era biplane. Nice patina to all. Tombaks treated with the same respect as keris in Indonesian culture, and this piece is the nicest, most substancial tombak I've ever seen. $250

9. If anyone's interested, I also have a Victorian-era basket hilt Scottish sword for sale. Can provide more details if interested...$600

Last edited by M ELEY; 3rd February 2006 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Spunjer

Quote:
2.Philippine Campilion, pre 1900. Classic type with carved crocodile-type hilt, carved designs, iron discs to hilt sides, no iron staples (I don't think it ever had them), rattan wrap. Spiked sharp blade with forging flaws, tiny inlaid brass dots (numbered 13, I think). From an old Frederick's sword catalog.$275
i'm interested at that item. could you please send me some pics of this kampilan? thanks in advance...

edited for spelling..

Last edited by Spunjer; 4th February 2006 at 12:12 AM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Alam Shah

Greetings,
I'm interested in the rencong (5) and the tombak (8). Could you send me pictures of it. You have PM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I'll post 'em .

Send to fbates@compost.net (remove (post) replace with cast)
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
carlos

could you send me pictures of the campillan? thanks
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 04:37 AM   #8
M ELEY

Default Yikes! Wasn't expecting such a quick response!

Wow! I'm glad for the quick response! As I said, I'm Mr Non-Techno! The easiest bet (and fastest, believe it or not!) is for me to snap some shots with a camera and mail them to Rick for posting. I can get to ti this weekend, get them developed fast and send them out. Sorry for the delay, but things are very busy now! I might as well snap them all. Rick, if it's OK with you, I'll get your or one of the other moderator's addresses for mailing. My email address is:
eley1234@bellsouth.net

Thanks and I'll get to it as soon as possible!
Old 12th February 2006, 05:25 AM   #9
M ELEY

I must apologize for the delay, but I'm finally sending Rick a disc of pics of the items in question (still for sale). I also must say sorry to the people who sent me messages on this page. My email WILL NOT let me contact you! I'm not set up to send via outlook express. Anyway, I'll sell the items to those interested on a first-come, first serve basis to be fair to everyone once the pictures are up. Thanks for the interest, guys. Some of these I hate to sell, but must (the rencong, which I know has a rhino horn hilt).
Old 21st February 2006, 07:10 AM   #10
kai

Arrow

Some of the pieces seem to be quite underpriced - I'd suggest that the successful forumites add something on top for the good cause once the pics are up...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow Pictures

Mark's items may be viewed here (two pages) :

http://photobucket.com/albums/v37/joeconrad/M%20ELEY/
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:33 AM   #12
M ELEY

Default Item sold!

Thanks so much, Rick, for posting these!

The rencong is sold! Thanks,Kia!
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:38 AM   #13
M ELEY

Default There goes another!

The kampilan has been sold! Thanks, Manny!
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:44 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks so much, Rick, for posting these!

The rencong is sold! Thanks,Kia!
Hey !
You're welcome Mark .
Don't forget my 10% off the top buddy .

//I keed , I keed .
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:48 AM   #15
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Some of the pieces seem to be quite underpriced - I'd suggest that the successful forumites add something on top for the good cause once the pics are up...

Regards,
Kai
Congrats! Kai on getting the rencong.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:13 AM   #16
M ELEY

Rick, all I can say is

Alam, my apologies again!

Kia, thanks for the pitch!!
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:22 AM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Rick, all I can say is

Alam, my apologies again!

Kia, thanks for the pitch!!
LOLZ
Old 28th February 2006, 09:18 PM   #18
M ELEY

I'm reducing some of my prices to SELL!

The tombak is now for $175.
The arrows are $50
The powder horn is $50.
After this,folks, its off to the antiques mall...
Old 1st March 2006, 06:14 AM   #19
drdavid

Mark you have a PM
David
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 05:12 PM   #20
M ELEY

Sorry drdavid and others who contacted me concerning the tombak. It has already sold to the first person to contact me!

Thanks, Stephen. I'll be in touch for shipping...
Old 28th March 2006, 05:34 AM   #21
M ELEY

Default Final blow-out!

Tax season is here and still more bills to pay. Here is my last reduction on prices for the stuff still here if anyone is still interested.

Bazu band- $95 (ouch! I bought it for almost 3x that much from Fagan & Co)
Japanese sword -$95
Bone Dagger- $125
Moroccan powderhorn- $45
Arrows, including IndoPersian armor-piercer- $45
Scottish basket hilt- $550

Thanks, Mark
Old 28th March 2006, 11:03 AM   #22
drdavid

Hi Mark
how much of the tip is missing on the japanese blade
cheers
David
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 07:31 PM   #23
M ELEY

Default Some itels sold!

Well, the Japanese wak, the powderhorn, the bazu band and the arrows are sold! Thanks, Matt!
Old 28th March 2006, 08:20 PM   #24
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

So is that everything Mark ?
If so i'll take the pictures down .
Old 29th March 2006, 10:33 PM   #25
M ELEY

Hello Rick, only the baskethilt and bone dagger remain. Several inquiries into the basket hilt, so I'll leave more info here.

I'm told it's a Crimean War era (1850's-60's) basket hilt, with the screw-off pommel and old chroming to basket, which has mostly rubbed off to reveal a nice chocolate patina underneath. The basket may possibly be older- this is not my forte! The hilt wood is intact, the wire gone and the fishskin flaking, with a 20% loss showing the wood underneath. The grip was loose when I bought it, so I cut a small piece of fabric out and placed it between the blade and basket (doesn't show) to nicely make it snug. The blade is intact, with no chipping, small wear/pitting to the tip only. The blade is darkened/pickled, with thistle and line decorations, with the crown/crest on one side and a cypher that is really illegible on the other! This was from where it has been rubbed and it might be "GR". "VR", "ER" ??? The fancy script doesn't help much, either!! It has two fullers per side and the 6-pointed star with the brass button and "PROVEDx" mark. The blade measures 32" and is 1 1/4" at the guard. The remnant leather lining in the basket was falling out when I got it. It has been secured for looks, but is badly worn. One can easily remove it, if they prefer the "open" look. It comes with a modern "Sam Brown" type scabbard/leather belt securer, like the modern baskets have. I can't lower the price any further, sorry! Thanks for the interest! -Mark