Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st July 2024, 02:33 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default Massive Piha Kaetta with figurine hilt

A large and heavy Piha Kaetta, a very welcomed addition to my little dagger collection.
The Piha has a length of almost 19 inches (48 cm), which a blade length of nearly 12 inches and 7/10 of an inch (18 mm) thickness on its base. The weight is impressive 31 oz. (880 grams).
According to Wikipedia, some Piha were able to penetrate Indian mail armor and if a Piha Kaetta can do so, this is the type. The blade has not the typical Kukri-shape, but more like a Mexican example of a Bowie Knife. This specific shape of this blade can be traced back for more than 2000 years. The hilt is way more ergonomic than the usual Piha, rests perfectly in my hand, with a very wide and solid rest for the forefinger in a thrust.

The hilt represents the mythical Sérapéṅdiya bird with eyes from blue glass. German Wikipedia mentions a style of hilt like Keris, English Wikipedia a Sérapéṅdiya-hilt, both without pictures. The handle-material could be antler, due to some dark brownish lines. The 2-3mm thick, nicely chiseled side plates could be silver (black patina on the edges). I think, the ladder-shaped structure close to the back of the blade might be the spine of the bird, the wave-like patterns are its feathers, with the blade itself symbolizes the tail of Sérapéṅdiya. The point of balance is only one inch or so from the hilt, so it is very well balanced. It feels lighter than it is.

I have no idea how old it is, but after all some hints. When it arrived, the hilt was black from something, which I identify as soot, not from nicotine (picture 2). Soot means, it was stored for a long time in a room with an open fireplace. The color of the antler together with the soot on the hilt and a very thin layer of dark brown patina on its blade (will leave it as it is) give me enough reasons to believe, that it is at least 100 years old, maybe older. The last picture shows a size comparison to a Barong (heavy, but still around 3 oz. lighter) and a pattern-welded Sulawesi-Pade.

I appreciate comments and try to answer every question, but it could take a while until I can response, since I have limited access to a computer were the Vikingsword page is not blocked.

Best wishes and a nice day
Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote