Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2009, 02:35 PM   #1
migueldiaz

Default Bat-wielding would-be robber beaten with a sword

From AZCentral.com:

Bat-wielding would-be robber beaten with a sword

A man apparently tried to rob an acquaintance by beating him with a baseball bat and was seriously hurt when the victim fought back with a sword, authorities said.

The would-be robber remains hospitalized Friday. Police have not released names.

Authorities said the incident Thursday began after the two men went to a check-cashing store together and then to the victim's home near Indian School Road and 47th Avenue.

"The victim allowed the suspect to come into his home and cool off" from the heat, Phoenix Police spokesman Luis Samudio said

The visitor, identified only as a 39-year-old man, pulled out a bat and struck his 30-year-old acquaintance on the shoulder, Samudio said. Authorities suspect the attacker planned to rob the victim.

After a struggle, the victim ran into a bedroom and armed himself with a sword, police said. The victim reportedly struck the suspect with the sword several times.

"It's the suspect that suffered the serious injuries," Samudio said.

The suspect fled the home and ended up at an apartment complex near the Black Canyon Freeway and West Camelback Road about four miles away. A resident at the complex called 911 after seeing a person bleeding, Samudio said.

The suspect is expected to be released in the next couple of days, police said. He faces charges of armed robbery and aggravated assault.
----

Related article: Would-be Robber Ends Up in Sword Fight; He Only Had a Bat...Needless to Say, He Lost
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Anandalal N.

I guess that settles the question between modern versus traditional weapons.
Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Freddy

Arrow

I'm a police officer in the city of Gent for already 27 years. I didn't actually see what follows, but I was able to read the report. It really happened.

Some years ago, a man tried to rob a nightshop. He entered the shop and threatened the owner with a knife or so. The owner, who originated from India, drew a sword to defend himself. He succeeded in chasing the robber away.

Some time later, a man was found bleeding heavily from the hand. Upon further investigation he seemed to have lost a thumb
In the skermish, the shop owner had severed the man's thumb with his sword.

The police was called to the hospital where the robber confessed what happened. He also said which shop he robbed. The doctors asked to police to go to the shop in order to retrieve the lost thumb. So they did.

But....the shop owner had had enough for one night and had closed shop. The police saw the robber's thumb lying on the floor of the shop, but weren't able to get in. It was visible through the shop window. They had to break in to get the thumb and rush it to the hospital. There an attempt was made to reattach the thumb to the man's hand. If this succeeded I don't know. But it's a good story, no ?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

" Is that a bat or are you just glad to see me ? "

Seriously, pretty tough to hide a bat on one's person .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:34 PM   #5
KuKulzA28

Wow... so you guys with big ethnographic weapon collections should be all set!

Next thing I hear, god forbid...

New Robbery Stopped by Old Methods
Antique Collector's Wife Uses "Assegai" Spear and "Moro Kris" Sword to Finish off a Burglar!

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Question

I think there may be one thing that we can learn from these events and that is how silly the idea is of having a forefinger over the top of what appears small Indian grips. I accept the small stature of the mountian peoples, as small as the classic idea of "pygmy" having small grips. Like those hilts seen on weapons from the Indian/Bhurma border hills. However the other Indian weapon often opulent can surely only be for child soldiers and princes.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 04:52 PM   #7
fearn

Hi Kukulz,

Actually, Cold Steel published a story about an African shopkeeper killing the leader of a gang of shotgun wielding robbers with his spear. He even survived the resulting melee, and fully recovered thereafter.

Personally, I'd say that antique collections are nice, but very sharp blades that are readily available in an emergency are even better, especially if one's housemates don't like guns. Knowing how to use them well enough to defend oneself is better still.

I think the other point in this story is that, in all cases, the robbers ran away, sometimes miles away. While we tend to talk about the lethality of various weapons, these scuffles would most likely be the kinds of sword fights we get into. A couple of blows, someone gets injured badly enough to attempt to get away, and then the police get involved. Could be worse.

Thanks for posting this Migueldiaz.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 11:09 PM   #8
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Actually, Cold Steel published a story about an African shopkeeper killing the leader of a gang of shotgun wielding robbers with his spear. He even survived the resulting melee, and fully recovered thereafter.
Wow, kudos to him, though the fact he could ambush the thugs helped him no doubt.
But... what is a weapon without the user and the user's intellect?
Quote:
Personally, I'd say that antique collections are nice, but very sharp blades that are readily available in an emergency are even better, especially if one's housemates don't like guns. Knowing how to use them well enough to defend oneself is better still.
True that.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 02:54 AM   #9
migueldiaz

Quote:
I think the other point in this story is that, in all cases, the robbers ran away, sometimes miles away. While we tend to talk about the lethality of various weapons, these scuffles would most likely be the kinds of sword fights we get into. A couple of blows, someone gets injured badly enough to attempt to get away, and then the police get involved. Could be worse. Thanks for posting this Migueldiaz.
Thanks too, Fearn

I'm sure all will agree that it's ok to use our swords for so long as we are not facing a smart aleck like this guy
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote