Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2006, 04:54 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Trousse or tools set?

Dear friends,
I bought this under the description "Turkish trousse" but realy puzles me what wach item is used for. The long "nail" type of iron does not look ideal for meat catching and the fork is so small!
Maybe this is a tool set for some unknown profession or specific job? I would like to hear any ideas.
Regards!
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 07:46 PM   #2
dennee

I'm going to take a wild guess here, not being familiar with Turkish items or cuisine. The long item is likely a skewer for cooking. The fork may serve two functions--holding down a piece of meat as it is cut (the origin of the use of the table fork) and removing pieces of food from the skewer.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Eftihis , can you provide some dimensions for these pieces .
I don't think this is a trousse ; rather a set of tools for a specific job .
Darned if I know what that job is though .

I think it's worth a little more attention from the group though ; anybody ?
Ham ?
Artzi ?
Jim ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 11:01 PM   #4
fearn

I keep wondering if these tools have something to do with calligraphy, for cutting reed pens and the like. This is just a wild guess--I do know that the arabs use reeds for traditional calligraphic pens, rather than feather quills as in Europe. The knife could be the equivalent of a pen knife, and the fork could have something to do with adjusting the tip. I have no idea what the stylus/spike would be for, though.

That's just a guess. Personally, I think it's a specialized tool kit, probably for some art or other.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 11:52 PM   #5
MABAGANI

Remind me of tools for working with leather?
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 04:08 PM   #6
fearn

I'm visiting my mom, and on a whim I showed her these pics. Here are her thoughts in the order she gave them.

--Could be a kit for sampling wool quality, the knife to cut off a sample of raw wool, the "skewer" to wrap it around (like a distaff), the fork to test what quality thread/yarn it could be drawn into (by drawing it through the fork).

--It could be a tool set for rug making or checking. Alternatively, it could be for knitting or crocheting. The fork, in particular, looked to her like a tool for working for thread or yarn, either drawing it out or picking up a lost stitch.

She has worked with leather, and she thought that the spike was too long and thin to be a good awl. Not that it's weak: to her it looked like an awkward shape for that purpose.

So---perhaps other members might want to ask the women in their lives for their opinions on this set?

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote