Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2006, 09:26 AM   #1
wolviex

Question Books on axes question!

Dear All!
I'm going to buy the book Axes of War and Power by J.D. Gamble. I found the same author wrote other book titled Battle Axes. Are both books worth to buy or first one is just extended version of second one? Are they worth of purchase?
Thank you!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
ariel

o-oops. double posting. i have to learn to click only once
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
ariel

I got it too. Nothing spectacular. Very little useful information and not a lot of true illustrative material. Took me about an hour to go over it and I haven't open it since. Two main messages: most axes on the market are not weapons but tools, and a battle axe has to be V-shaped in section ( as opposed to many "souvenir" Qajar-type creations). I looked at my axe in the shed (plastic handle, made in China, bought at Ace Hardware for $10.99 on sale) and it sure is V-shaped. Perhaps, in its earlier incarnation it used to be 15th century Teutonic and was at Grunwald
Old 30th September 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
wolviex

Thank you Ariel. But which book do you mean? Are both not worth of my money? If there is no useful knowledge or researches I see no reason to buy them but just want to be sure.
Thanks
Old 30th September 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
ariel

The war and power one.
Postpone your decision until you hear other opinions; perhaps, I shall be rebuked and corrected.
Old 1st October 2006, 06:42 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE BOOK DOSENT GO IN DEPTH BUT DOES COVER QUITE A FEW COUNTRYS AND TIME PERIODS. I HAVE THE OLD ORIGINAL BOOK AND HAVE NOT SEEN THE UPDATED VERSION WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE ADDED SOME MORE INFORMATION. THERE ARE NOT A LOT OF BOOKS ON AXES OUT THERE AND THE FEW I AM AWARE OF ONLY FOCUS ON ONE REGION, AFRICA FOR EXAMPLE. STONES GLOSSARY ALSO HAS A WIDE RANGE OF AXES FROM MANY COUNTRYS AND TIMES, THE AX BOOK IS SORT OF LIKE THAT BUT ONLY DEALS WITH THE AX. IT SHOULD BE REASONABLY PRICED AS THE REPRINT HAS NOT BEEN OUT LONG, THERE IS ALSO A REPRINT OF STONES GLOSSARY OUT NOW IN HARDBACK AND SOFT BACK.
AS WITH ALL REFRENCE BOOKS WE CAN ALWAYS WISH FOR MORE INFORMATION AND AS WE ACCUMILATE KNOWLEGE IT BECOMES MORE DIFFICULT TO SUPPLY NEW KNOWLEGE. I DON'T USE MY AX BOOK MUCH BUT ITS THERE IF I NEED TO LOOK FOR SOME INFORMATION IN FUTURE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 02:46 AM   #7
M ELEY

Although not having battle axes in it per say, the book Indian Tomahawks and Frontiersman Belt Axes by Hartzler & Knowles is a fascinating study on Native American pieces as well as trade/frontier axes. This is a pretty cool book with lots of pics. It can be pricey unless you look around (I got mine for $75 and can't part with it). Its an excellent source for this type of ethnographic item...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 05:40 AM   #8
ham

Both books on battle axes by Gamble are the same, the second is a slight edit on the first, however it is not scolarly research. As a result, the text is inaccurate overall.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:05 AM   #9
wolviex

Thank you all, these are the news I needed - to stop thinking seriously about the book. I will spend my money on something else.
M Eley: thank you for suggestions, thought American native weapons are far from my interest, I will think about that book.
Regards!