Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2008, 01:09 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile PSYCHOLOGICAL WEAPONS

THESE TYPES OF WEAPONS HAVE BEEN USED SINCE ANCIENT TIMES. IT CAN STILL BE SEEN IN ITS MOST ANCIENT FORM AMONG THE GREAT APES, THEY SOMETIMES MAKE LOUD NOISES JUMP ABOUT AND TEAR THINGS UP, MAKE FACES AND SHOW THEIR TEETH. IN OUR PRIMATIVE ATTEMPTS TO INTIMIDATE OUR RIVALS OR RIVAL TRIBES WE DEVELOPED MANY DANCES WITH AGRESSIVE MOVEMENTS, LOUD SHOUTS,AND FIERCE FACES, THE MAORI OF NEW ZEALAND AND MANY OTHER SOCIETYS IN POLYNESIA HAD THESE AS A PRELUDE TO A FIGHT.
LARGE ARMYS POUNDING ON THEIR SHIELDS, POUNDING DRUMS, BLOWING HORNS AND SHOUTING OR SINGING WAS DONE FOR THE SAME PURPOSE.

THE NOISE SERVED THE PURPOSE TO MAKE YOUR ARMY SOUND BIGGER BEFORE IT WAS SEEN AS WELL AS TO SHOW YOUR ARMY WAS NOT AFRAID AND VERY FIERCE. THE SCOTTISH BAGPIPE WAS A WEAPON ORIGINALLY AND IF YOU HAD NEVER HEARD ONE WOULD INDEED BE SOMETHING TO CAUSE WORRY. THE BAGPIPES ALSO LET YOU KNOW WHO WAS COMING AND THAT YOU WERE IN FOR A REAL FIGHT. I FOUND AN INTERESTING PICTURE THAT BROUGHT ON THIS POST IS A BEDOUIN BAGPIPE FROM THE 1800'S, SOMETHING I HAD NOT HEARD OF BEFORE. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS OR INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF THE PICTURED BAGPIPE WOULD BE INTERESTING.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Interesting stuff, Barry.

Those Maoris especially, and their hakas---although I did hear that the haka was originally performed as a tribute of thanks.

I was aware that during the highland uprising in the 1700's the pipes were classified as "an instrument of war", but I always thought that the highland pipes were primarily a peaceful instrument.

Could I ask where you learnt that the highland pipes were originally a weapon?

Thanks.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 03:35 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

MY UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT THE MAORI WOULD DO A HAKA WHEN VISITORS APPROACHED THEIR VILLAGE AND THEN END IT WITH A GREETING WHICH IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY WAS TO RUB NOSES. BOTH GROUPS PREFORMED THEIR HAKAS AND TAUNTED AND INSULTED THE OTHER SIDE BEFORE THE FIGHT BEGAN. THE TAUNTING IS COMMON IN MANY TRIBES THERE ARE SOME GOOD FILMS OF IT FROM NEW GUINEA AS THIS KIND OF WARFARE HAS HAPPENED VERY RECENTLY AND MAY STILL OCCUR AMOUNG SOME GROUPS. THE FILM BRAVEHEART SHOWS THE SCOTTS TAUNTING THEIR ENEMYS QUITE WELL. SOME OF THE PACIFIC CLUBS ARE VERY PALLIC IN NATURE AND ARE WAVED AROUND IN A VERY INSULTING MANNER WITH X RATED TAUNTS NO DOUBT. SOME OF THE GUNSTOCK VARIETYS WERE OFTEN PHALLIC AT THE HANDLE END AND WERE HELD UPSIDE DOWN BY THE SPIKE AT THE STRIKING END AND BRANDISHED AT THE ENEMY.

I CAN'T SAY AS I REMBER WHERE I READ THAT THE PIPES WERE CONSIDERED A WEAPON OF WAR BUT EARLY ON I THINK THEY WERE MOSTLY USED BY MILITARY MEN. THEY WERE USED ON THE MARCH INTO BATTLE JUST AS THE DRUM WAS AT THE TIME AND THEIR PURPOSE WAS NOT TO SOUND SIGNALS LIKE THE BUGLE AS FAR AS I KNOW. I WOULD THINK THEY HELPED PREPARE THE WARRIORS MENTALY WHILE MARCHING TO BATTLE AND THE STRANGE SOUND WOULD MAKE THE ENEMY A BIT NERVOUS. I SUPPOSE WE NEED A PIPER TO FILL US IN ON THE HISTORY OF THE BAGPIPE. I IMAGINE SOME TUNES WERE TO BOLSTER YOUR COURAGE AND INSPIRE CLAN SPIRIT WHILE OTHERS WERE DESIGNED TO SOUND WILD AND CRAZY KIND OF LIKE SOUNDING A CHARGE INTO BATTLE. I THINK SOME OF THEM TELL A STORY AND SOME ARE JUST TO GET THE BLOOD PUMPING. I JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEGE ON THE SUBJECT SO PERHAPS THERE WILL BE SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN SET ME STRAIT IF I AM OFF. BUT FROM THE WAY THE PIPES SOUND AND THE REPUTATION OF THE SCOTS AS FIGHTING MEN, I CAN SEE AS TO HOW THEY WOULD HAVE A PSYCOLOGICAL EFFECT.
Old 3rd January 2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually I had heard about this as well, that the Scottish bagpipes (which BTW were not invented there) were indeed considered instruments of war, and were banned along with the other formidable weapons of the Highlander.
While my own ancestry is of course Scottish, and admittedly diffused somewhat, I can tell you that a bit of Drambuie and some stirring bagpipe music brings forth that blood!
Actually that same effect was the effect the bagpipes brought out, and most certainly in monumentally more intense degree in those early Highlanders.
As Vandoo has noted, hearing those bagpipes certainly brought fear to those who knew what was to follow.

* on a lighter note I once saw a great cartoon with a Highlander playing his pipes and two young kids next to him, with one saying "well maybe if you stop squeezin' it mister, it'll stop screeching!".

On the note on the noise, in the great Noriega siege years ago, the Marines had him surrounded, and he was intent on fighting to the end......until they started the heavy metal over the loudspeakers..,,he caved in within hours!!!

Great post Vandoo!
I wasn't aware the Bedouins had these, but it seems bagpipes were known in the Middle East long before my Scottish forebearers had them.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 04:25 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE CLUBS ONE IS A FIJI GUNSTOCK CLUB WITH THE SPIKE MENTIONED ABOVE. THE PICTURE OF A WARRIOR WITH A CLUB ,NEW HEBRIDES, THE LAST IS A PICTURE OF A CLUB FROM NEW CALIDONIA. IT IS INTERESTING THAT MOST OF THE MORE RECENT CLUBS FROM FIJI DO NOT FEATURE THE PHALLIC HANDLES.
Attached Images

Old 3rd January 2008, 05:07 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Yeah Jim, they were instruments of war, and banned, but that was the 1700's.

Of course, I am more than willing to accept that they were also weapons of war---the noise they make is enough to send anybody running.

And while we're on the subject of running, you see an angry 6'5'', 300 pound Maori, you really don't need any haka to get you running in the opposite direction---at least I don't.Here in Australia Maoris and other Pacific Islanders, and men of Pacific Island descent make a very significant contribution to our national religion.Football--ie, rugby or one persuasion or another.
Old 3rd January 2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually you're right Alan, they were banned in the 18th century, but began to be allowed once again when the British began forming regiments of Highlanders. The clans never went into battle without the pipes, and the pipers have stirred thier warriors into battle into modern times. There were over a thousand pipers killed in WWI, and even today, when a fallen warrior is put to rest, the pipes are there to send him home.

I will agree with you though on the Maoris and other South Seas groups. I recall younger years in California where certain conflicts arose, with most odds being reasonably level...except when Samoans showed up! Then it was time to quick exit!

All best regards,
Jim
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:01 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Thumbs up Maori Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Interesting stuff, Barry.

Those Maoris especially, and their hakas---although I did hear that the haka was originally performed as a tribute of thanks.

I was aware that during the highland uprising in the 1700's the pipes were classified as "an instrument of war", but I always thought that the highland pipes were primarily a peaceful instrument.

Could I ask where you learnt that the highland pipes were originally a weapon?

Thanks.
As an inhabitant of NewZealand (home of the Maori), thought I had better get involved here. To save loads of copying on my part, and speculation on the part of Forum Members, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka (or just GOOGLE the word Haka) where various aspects of the Haka are described.
Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 06:48 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THANKS FOR THE LINK A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION THERE. THE MANY DANCES OF POLYNESIA ARE VERY INTERESTING. THEY WERE AND STILL ARE A FORM OF COMUNICATION AND A WAY OF TRAINING THE YOUNG PEOPLE IN THE WAYS OF THE TRIBE. MANY OF THE MOVEMENTS IN SOME OF THE MENS DANCES TEACH FOOTWORK, AGILITY, STRIKES AND BLOCKS SOME REMIND ME OF THE KATA'S I PRACTICED IN MARTIAL ARTS. IN THE OLD DAYS A WELL DONE DANCE COULD COULD WIN YOU A MATE OR FAVOR FROM THE CHIEF AND PERHAPS GIVE YOU THE SKILL TO SURVIVE AND WIN A BATTLE.

WE OFTEN THINK A DANCE IS JUST A WAY TO HAVE FUN AND TODAY LARGELY IT IS BUT IN THE OLD DAYS IT PLAYED AN IMPORTANT PART IN THE SOCIETYS OF MAN THE WORLD OVER.
Old 4th January 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Mark

I have read that during the North African campaigns of WWII the Germans were in dread of the sound of Scottish bagpipes, as they signalled the presence of the Highland regiments, who they considered to be very fierce fighters (a pretty good estimation, I'd say). The Scots would even play the pipes at the front during the night for their psycological effect. Nothing like hearing the sound of your worst enemy to keep you up at night and/or give you nightmares.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 06:13 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Here's a short clip of Haka performed in a non-sports related fashion. There is also some good Haka in the film Whale Rider.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lrE...eature=related
And then i also found this rare footage of a seldom seen Maori clan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oulQwIP9VQQ
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 08:20 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Yeah Jim, Samoans, Maoris, and other Pacific Island people can all be pretty scary in aggression mode. Two thousand years of selective breeding does have some effect.

However, although the physical effect of selective breeding is principally responsible for the remarkable physique and abilities of these people, it is not responsible for the aggression. This aggression is the result of social organisation. There is a lesson to be learnt from this which is particularly applicable to all of us at the present time.

Ever heard of the Moriori? Chatham Islands?

Have a look at this:-

http://www.davekopel.com/NRO/2003/Moriori-Lesson.htm

This is not weaponry, but in my opinion is something that can assist the understanding of weaponry.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 4th January 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I have read that during the North African campaigns of WWII the Germans were in dread of the sound of Scottish bagpipes, as they signalled the presence of the Highland regiments, who they considered to be very fierce fighters (a pretty good estimation, I'd say). The Scots would even play the pipes at the front during the night for their psycological effect. Nothing like hearing the sound of your worst enemy to keep you up at night and/or give you nightmares.
Thank you so much for those words Mark. Absolutely music to my ears!
As Alan has noted, the pipes can present most unnerving noise to many, especially with that connotation, but they can truly be beautiful in many arrangements, especially in stirring ceremonies. I will never forget seeing "The Black Watch" and it was in the early 1980's just after the tragic loss of U.S. Marines in Lebanon, there was a tribute that was indescribable.

My uncle was in N.Africa in WWII, actually with the Rangers Battalion, in Colonel Darby's Rangers.

Alan,
Thank you for the info on the Moriori, absolutely fascinating, and your point on the significance is extremely well placed.

All very best regards,
Jim
Old 5th January 2008, 03:00 AM   #14
Andrew

You're Scottish, Jim?

The battle-cry or such "spirit yells" as the Korean kihap and Japanese kiai have definite martial application. Not only can such shouts serve to enbolden a fighter, but they can assist in focusing attention, technique and power. They will often startle an opponant.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Andrew!
Actually I'm not, but my great grandparents were Highlanders from Skye and Jura...and my wife insists that I get very different when I get my hands on the Drambuie...and on our first date...the bagpipe music I put on had anything but the desired effect I planned ! Miraculously she stayed with me anyway

Excellent points about the battle cries, which of course were used with great effect by the Scots as well as they charged. In the South, the Rebel yell was pretty well known in The War Between the States (as I was always corrected when I lived in Nashville and mentioned what I called The Civil War).

All very best regards,
Jim
Old 6th January 2008, 07:26 PM   #16
Battara
EAAF Staff

If I understand right, the Apache were freaked when they first saw wild men wearing women's dresses torturing small animals in their arms. Their first meeting Scottish pipers in combat.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 07:47 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
If I understand right, the Apache were freaked when they first saw wild men wearing women's dresses torturing small animals in their arms. Their first meeting Scottish pipers in combat.
LOL!!! Thats fantastic Jose!!
I burst out laughing reading that , my wife came in to see what was up!
Funny, I'm in Apache country right now (just north of Sonora, Mexico in Douglas, AZ) and last night I was watching "Braveheart", which coincidentally came on TV while I studying more on Scottish history.

Thanks so much for that!

All the best,
Jim
Old 7th January 2008, 03:11 AM   #18
VANDOO
(deceased)

I FOUND A SITE WITH THE HISTORY OF THE BAGPIPE www.music.iastate.edu/antiqua/bagpipe.htm

I HAD NOT HEARD OF ANY GROUP OTHER THAN THE HIGHLANDERS USING THE PIPES, BUT ITS HISTORY GOES WAY BACK THEY EVEN SAID NERO COULD PLAY ONE BUT IT GOES WAY BACK BEFORE THAT. I HOPE THE LINK WORKS IF NOT SEARCH FOR BAGPIPE AND LOOK FOR IT THERE, IT IS THE ONE ABOUT THE HISTORY OF BAGPIPES. THE LINK WORKS YEA!!