Old 4th May 2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question What Have We Here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...528194733&rd=1
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 12:27 PM   #2
tom hyle

Maybe Tibetan or Persian. The pommel reminds me of Persian ones, and the flowers/foliage do not look Tibetan to me, but the guard area? Kinzhalesque? Quick surface thoughts.....whatever it is, I've seen one before....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 12:29 PM   #3
RSWORD

I am away from my references at the moment but my best guess at this time is that this is an Arab sword, possibly from Oman.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 12:47 PM   #4
tom hyle

You may be right; what I'm grasping for with the lidsheath/guard may be a similarity to the lidsheath/ferule/guard on jambiya. In fact, now that you say Arab, I think you are probably right. I've definitely seen this very form before, I may have a picture in a book, but my books are in my car, I'm nude, and it's raining.....
Old 4th May 2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Conogre

The style is almost indo-persian, with both arabic and Indian influences, with the foliage favoring the former.
At a glance the impression was oriental, but looking closer quickly dispells that.
SWEET find and subtely different than most I've seen.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 01:34 AM   #6
tom hyle

Swords and Hilt Weapons by North, Coe, Connolly, et al. Page 141 an extremely similar sword, unfortuneately IDd only as one of a "Group of Turkish and Persian swords and daggers with silver mounts and blades inlaid with gold, sixteenth-eighteenth century." A less similar but still similar sword is on page 139, IDd as Hispano-Mooresque c. 1500.....
Old 5th May 2005, 01:41 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Ahh , Yes

Good eye Tom .
Just looked at the example in Swords and Hilt Weapons ; a much nicer example . Makes me wonder if our example is a 'decorative' piece from a later era.
Old 5th May 2005, 09:52 AM   #8
M.carter

This sword is arab, Yemeni. There was a similar sword posted on SFI a while ago. Unfortunately, no one knew anything of these swords.

SFI Sword

Ive just realized something, these swords look very much like the swords in the book "Islamic Swords and Swordsmiths" by Dr.Uncal Yuncel. Portraits 56,57,58,59. Except those had slightly curved blades and were made in the mamluk period, 15th century.

Last edited by M.carter; 5th May 2005 at 10:03 AM.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Michael Blalock

Default Omani/Yemeni Sword

Hi, I bought that sword on ebay and I own the sword shown on SFI. Now I have a collection started. I guess I will need to go back to Yemen or Oman to get more, though I understand they confiscate anything older than 50 years nowadays. It's a shame that the blade on the ebay sword looks like it was sanded or ground. I will post a better picure when I get delivery.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 01:31 PM   #10
Michael Blalock

Default Not decorative

Even without seeing the actual sword I know this is not a decorative piece. I have seen similar work on Yemeni swords in the 1960's. This is most likley turn of the century
Old 6th May 2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Welcome to the forum Michael , looking forward to a report and better pictures once you get it in your hands .
Old 6th May 2005, 02:19 PM   #12
tom hyle

I'm always the one who says things don't look like decorator pieces or that I think they're for the native market, etc; I was thinking I'd give it a rest for a minute, but yeah, it looks pretty "real" to me, too. Smaller than the one in the book, and with a differet suspension, though.
BTW, I think you'll be pleasantly(?) surprised; I think the dicolouration on the blade is rust/patination that can be easily cleaned to smooth grey patches with probably some pitting with fine steel wool and runny oil, and the areas in between look smooth and fairly original though standard photo disclaimer etc. Also, though I'm getting more hesitant about giving out hints, ( ), I think the discolouration is likely following the layers of forged lamination (and it's possible some of these areas may be forging flaws, open grain, etc.): I doubt this is a wootz blade, but probably layered steel.
Old 6th May 2005, 03:49 PM   #13
M.carter

Hello Michael, you are strating now a VEERRRRY unique and rare collection, as these two swords are the only ones Ive seen in books, the net, and my trips around the Middle East.

EDIT: Havent you sold that sword?
Old 6th May 2005, 06:23 PM   #14
Michael Blalock

Default Sell, Never!!!

No, I never wanted to sell the sword. I just was selling a bunch of marginal jambiyas and posted the other sword on ebay to attract attention to my "see sellers other items". This is the only really nice thing I have from my time in Yemen. My family had lots of nice jambiyas and swords that were stolen in the 1970s. They are floating around North Carolina somewhere. Even some stone reliefs and statues from Himayarite and Sabean sites and a Rasulid Talismanic magic bowl that must be an ashtray somewhere. I'm keeping these swords forever.
Old 6th May 2005, 07:49 PM   #15
Radu Transylvanicus

I am looking inside "Pandora's Box" also known as Anthony C. Tirri's book "Islamic weapons : Maghrib to Moghul" at the Chapter III : Arabian Peninsula showing Omani "kattara" (perhaps simply a local transliteration of Persian "Qadara" should one think ...) and while the shapes resemble this but on a closer examination resemblances fade away I would say ... As much as I hate to be in "opposition" once again I really dont think is Omani ...
Nevertheless the short description goes: "The Omani Kattara takes two primary forms, the similarity being that they almost have a straight double edged blade. The more frequently encountered Omani Kattar has a guardless hilt that evenly tappers from the shoulder of the blade up to a small cylindrical pommel. The less encountered Omani Kattara is a guarded straight blade double-edged sword with short downturned quillions. It has a heavier hexagonal pointed pommel , which acts as a counterweight to the long blade. "
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 08:35 PM   #16
M.carter

Yeah the Omani kattaras do resemble these swords, but the ones that look almost identical are the ones I mentioned in the book "Islamic swords and swordsmiths".