Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th December 2011, 05:38 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Thankyou Santa!! Omani silver and Jambiya

Picked these up today. a nice selection of Omani Silver Jewellery and Jambiya accoutriments. None modern, as all came out of Oman in the early 1970s.
Also a nice Hadraumauti Jambiya came with the lot, decorated with silver Indian Rupees. Nothing cleaned up yet and I will expand on individual items later.
Just thought you would like to see.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Picked these up today. a nice selection of Omani Silver Jewellery and Jambiya accoutriments. None modern, as all came out of Oman in the early 1970s.
Also a nice Hadraumauti Jambiya came with the lot, decorated with silver Indian Rupees. Nothing cleaned up yet and I will expand on individual items later.
Just thought you would like to see.
Regards Stuart
Salaams Khanjar 1~ Nice mixed group including 2 copper ginger pots(normally tinned inside) often made in Nizwa. The heart shaped hair ornament keeps the girls long hair tidy pinned to the mid back of her dress. The danglers are specific to the Baatina Coast as they represent Indo/Omani influence in Omani Jewelery through trade etc. The big necklace has a nice "hirz" lucky charm box(often empty sometimes with a verse inside) as a pendant with moon shaped danglers representing hand of Fatima janglers and is worn on a thick rope to spread the load. The odd looking shovel shaped dangler is a boys "dinar mal walad" ~ The Girls wear the round one ~ and inside the big necklace is a hair hook... Omani Tribal Jewelery has a lot of adornments for the hair. The multi strand chain is multi purpose and I have seen it used as a long chain extending from the neck straight down the front as well as over the top of the head supporting ear rings clusters on each end dangling near the ears...Its formal and correct position is hooked into the hair on each side of the head with the chain hanging under the chin. Theres a small mangash there as well with iron spikes and tweezers mainly used for pulling Accacia thorns from the feet of the owner ! Stuff like this is getting hard to find so you have nice rare items across the whole collection ... Regards Ibrahiim Al Balooshi
Oh forgot to add the ring which looks like a pointer is in fact a prayer ring worn on the index finger of each hand and pointing up...as a symbolic gesture to God. There are in fact 6 rings on each hand as a full set each one different for each finger and thumb and two worn on the middle finger.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 07:19 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Khanjar 1~ Nice mixed group including 2 copper ginger pots(normally tinned inside) often made in Nizwa. The heart shaped hair ornament keeps the girls long hair tidy pinned to the mid back of her dress. The danglers are specific to the Baatina Coast as they represent Indo/Omani influence in Omani Jewelery through trade etc. The big necklace has a nice "hirz" lucky charm box(often empty sometimes with a verse inside) as a pendant with moon shaped danglers representing hand of Fatima janglers and is worn on a thick rope to spread the load. The odd looking shovel shaped dangler is a boys "dinar mal walad" ~ The Girls wear the round one ~ and inside the big necklace is a hair hook... Omani Tribal Jewelery has a lot of adornments for the hair. The multi strand chain is multi purpose and I have seen it used as a long chain extending from the neck straight down the front as well as over the top of the head supporting ear rings clusters on each end dangling near the ears...Its formal and correct position is hooked into the hair on each side of the head with the chain hanging under the chin. Theres a small mangash there as well with iron spikes and tweezers mainly used for pulling Accacia thorns from the feet of the owner ! Stuff like this is getting hard to find so you have nice rare items across the whole collection ... Regards Ibrahiim Al Balooshi
Oh forgot to add the ring which looks like a pointer is in fact a prayer ring worn on the index finger of each hand and pointing up...as a symbolic gesture to God. There are in fact 6 rings on each hand as a full set each one different for each finger and thumb and two worn on the middle finger.
The other two rings in the pic are thumb rings I think, though not as wide as usual, so could be for one of the other fingers.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
The other two rings in the pic are thumb rings I think, though not as wide as usual, so could be for one of the other fingers.
Salaams... Thumbrings are huge wide things about a half inch wide... I will find out where these are from as they are unusual perhaps from Salalah ... Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams... Thumbrings are huge wide things about a half inch wide... I will find out where these are from as they are unusual perhaps from Salalah ... Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I agree. The ones I have are about 3/16" wide and have a "studded" design on them. The ginger pots you mention are indeed copper with a silvered/tinned wash finish, inside AND outside.
Regards Stu
Old 24th December 2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Atlantia

Nice one Stu!

I picked up a bag of silver a while back and have been trying to ID it all! I hadn't thought of the possibility of Omani until I saw the ring pointer in your lot!

Interesting Jambiya BTW! What's the blade like?

Edit: Adding pics of my 'job lot'. Shown with a mounted Yemeni Silver coin that I bought separately: Mutawakilite kingdom of Yemen, Imadi Riyal, 1344 (accession date AH1322), Imam Yahya (1322-1367-1904-1948).

Haven't got a clue what the large multi part piece is. All the main parts are stamped with a square mark on the reverse, but it's to indistinct to make out any detail.
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 24th December 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote