Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2006, 09:14 PM   #1
katana

Default A Gurkha's plight......what do you think?

Not to do with edged weapons....but to do with the brave Gurkhas.
Read this today......I know what I think... ....wondered what comments others have......

FROM 'THE SUN' , a UK National Paper ,

MUSEUM chiefs have broken a Gurkha war hero’s heart by refusing to let him see his treasured Victoria Cross one final time.

Fearless Lieutenant Tulbahadur Pun, 89, won the nation’s top medal for bravery during World War II.

Aged just 21, he single-handedly stormed two Japanese armed positions with his Bren Gun blazing from his hip after his comrades were wiped out in Burma.

Now the ageing hero — who lives in poverty in Nepal — has begged his old Army regiment’s museum to send him his medal so he can wear it with pride before he dies.

But museum bosses have refused, saying the VC no longer belongs to him.

Tulbahadur — one of only 12 winners of the VC still alive — is too unwell to travel to the UK.

He said he handed over the medal to the Gurkha Museum in Winchester, Hants, for safekeeping in the ’70s on officers’ advice.

He told The Sun: “Until 1995, I used to go to the UK and wear my Victoria Cross. Now I would like to wear it again before I leave the Earth — I can’t understand why they won’t let me.”

The grandfather of 15 is forced to spend all his VC pension on medicines for his heart problems.

London barrister Rebekah Wilson, who is representing him, said: “The medal is something he cherishes. Time is not on his side and I think it would be shameful if he did not get to see his medal again.”

But Gurkha Museum curator Gerald Davies said: “Tulbahadur Pun’s medal has been donated to the museum by his regimental association.

“We have a duty of care to ensure this medal is available to the public to see and it is secure.”

The citation for Tulbahadur’s VC praises his “outstanding courage and superb gallantry” in capturing the Japanese machine-gun posts and killing three enemies.

t.newtondunn@the-sun.co.uk
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
spiral

If they never paid him for it, or had a written statement from him saying it was theres to keep, it should be returned.

For his & his familys futre.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

ONE IS NEVER SURE IF A STORY IS TRUE OR NOT THESE DAYS AS MOST PRESS IS FAR FROM TRUSTWORTHY.
IF THE STORY IS TRUE I CAN ONLY SAY THAT THE BEHAVIOR OF THE MUSEUM IS VERY SHAMEFUL. THE MEDAL IS JUST A OBJECT WITH A SET VALUE, THE OLD SOLDIER IS WORTH SO MUCH MORE AND THE MEDAL REPRESENTS THE SACRIFICE AND ACTS HE DID TO EARN IT. A METAL IS JUST A PIECE OF TIN AND RIBBON AND IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT THE ACTS AND SACRIFICE OF THE BRAVE WHICH ARE TRUELY PRICELESS.
I HOPE SOMEONE IN THE MILITARY WITH POWER TAKES UP THE OLD SOLDIERS CAUSE AND SENDS A OLD DRILL SEARGENT TO CHEW OUT THE MUSEUM REPRESENITIVE WHO IS BEING SUCH A LOUSE AND TAKE THE MEDAL TO THE OLD MAN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 10:52 PM   #4
katana

Spiral, Vandoo.....I'm with you....if the facts are correct ..this is indeed SHAMEFUL.
Surely, and I do not mean this disrespectfully, one VC looks much the same to another, WHAT IS DIFFERENT IS THE ENGRAVED NAME AND THE BRAVERY WHICH PLACED IT THERE.
This man is old, in poor health and lives in poverty....is there no compassion left...to let this man have honour in his final days....surely the right of any brave warrior.....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote