Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2008, 04:27 AM   #1
bigyankee

Default New Here.

I'm very new to collecting antique edged weapons. As a matter of fact I got my first one today. It's a kris I believe. I've been collecting militaria for a while and finally something new(to me). So can anyone tell me about kris knives, I believe that's how it's spelled.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, forgive me for I am new)
bigyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Bigyankee,
Welcome to the forum. If you would, please post a few pictures of your new addition and a few measurements like total length, blade length, thickness and width. If you use the search button at the top of the page and type in kris and you will find all sorts of info and pictures. If you haven't done it yet I would suggest that you start your forum experience by viewing this. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Henk

Bigyankee,

Welcome to the forum.
As Robert suggested better place some pictures of the item. Then we can comment. If your new addition is a keris the thread better should be removed to the keris warung kopy part of this forum. Don't worry, the moderators will take care for that.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 11:08 PM   #4
migueldiaz

Hi Bigyankee,

Am new here myself. If you'd first like to have an overview of ethnic Philippine weapons, then please see Krieger's Weapons of the Philippine Islands.

If you want to zoom in right away on krises, this old thread is very helpful to say the least, and I'd say is a must-see: Kris sword variations.

Welcome

PS - Vandoo, the richness of your collection continues to boggle my imagination!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 11:37 PM   #5
migueldiaz

... here's one more LINK which provides an excellent overview very useful for those starting to collect Phil. antique weapons.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:05 AM   #6
bigyankee

Default photo's

Here are some photo's sorry about the poor quality of them.

It also has part Japanese Govt. 10 Centavo note in between the wood and metal on the sheeth, the metal slid down revealing this. It seems as if it makes the metal stay in place better.

Anyways thanks for the help.
bigyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

This dagger is called a gunong. I don't really know much about them but there are people here on the forum that are experts and I'm sure that they will be answering soon. If you would please post the measurements to go with the photos. Here is a good thread to start with for other examples. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=ferguson Good luck with your collection, you will find it has a tendency to turn into an addiction!!

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 22nd December 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 04:10 PM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

AS MENTIONED IT IS CALLED A GUNONG WE USED TO CALL IT A PUNAL BEFORE WE WERE INFORMED OF THE NAME FOR THEM USED BY THE LOCAL PHILIPPINE PEOPLE. SO A SEARCH IN THE CURRENT FORUM AND ARCHIVED FORUMS UNDER THOSE TWO NAMES SHOULD SUPPLY A LOT OF INFORMATION.
IT IS NOT MY SPECIALTY BUT BASICALLY IT IS A MORO DAGGER YOUR EXAMPLE APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN FORMED BY STOCK REMOVAL SO THE BLADE IS PROBABLY MADE FROM ONE PIECE OF STEEL AND NOT SHAPED OR FOLDED IN A FORGE. I WOULD GUESS IT IS POST WW2, YOU WILL SEE SOME PICTURES OF SOME GOOD OLD HAND FORGED ONES IN THE FORUM POSTS. A NICE START ON COLLECTING PHILIPPINE EDGED WEAPONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote