Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2024, 11:58 AM   #1
HughChen

Default Which kind of Pamor is it?

From a Chinese collector. This pamor looks interesting, Does it has a name or fall into certain category? it's some kind of new product of modern technique ?
Attached Images

HughChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2024, 12:38 PM   #2
JustYS

Default Pamor name

Hi HughChen,

I believe the name of the pamor is Toya (water) Mambeg (not flowing) that can be translated as stagnant water.
JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2024, 01:04 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Yep.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2024, 02:21 PM   #4
HughChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS View Post
Hi HughChen,

I believe the name of the pamor is Toya (water) Mambeg (not flowing) that can be translated as stagnant water.
Thank you for sharing knowledge !
Old 26th August 2024, 02:22 PM   #5
HughChen

Is this a old Keris? It looks quite fancy to me. So based on my limited experience, I think it's a new one.
Old 27th August 2024, 01:22 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Yes, probably a Madura product, after +/-1980.
Old 28th August 2024, 05:42 AM   #7
HughChen

Quote:
Yes, probably a Madura product, after +/-1980.
Thank you Alan, may I consult how do you make the judgment? In other words, what are the characteristics you used to determine the age of this keris?
Old 28th August 2024, 06:31 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Hugh, I was buying keris from Indonesia long before the keris revival of the 1970's began. It began in Central Jawa and the Boys From Madura did not join the modern market until the early 1980's.

I was in Jawa & Madura when all this was getting off the ground.

Its called "experience".

I cannot give you reliable and actionable guidelines on how to appraise a keris from internet pictures, even face to face & with the keris in our hands it would take repeated instruction over a relatively lengthy period to train you.

I have had several experienced collectors visit me from USA & Europe, they have spent a week or so with me, one gentleman from Canada spent three weeks with me. None of these people have learnt much more than how to identify a Madura keris & a Surakarta keris. None have been unintelligent, all have been experienced in Western World collector knowledge.

Its like anything else Hugh, it takes time to gain knowledge, there are no shortcuts.
Old 28th August 2024, 10:20 AM   #9
HughChen

Quote:
Hugh, I was buying keris from Indonesia long before the keris revival of the 1970's began. It began in Central Jawa and the Boys From Madura did not join the modern market until the early 1980's.

I was in Jawa & Madura when all this was getting off the ground.

Its called "experience".

I cannot give you reliable and actionable guidelines on how to appraise a keris from internet pictures, even face to face & with the keris in our hands it would take repeated instruction over a relatively lengthy period to train you.

I have had several experienced collectors visit me from USA & Europe, they have spent a week or so with me, one gentleman from Canada spent three weeks with me. None of these people have learnt much more than how to identify a Madura keris & a Surakarta keris. None have been unintelligent, all have been experienced in Western World collector knowledge.

Its like anything else Hugh, it takes time to gain knowledge, there are no shortcuts.
Thank you Alan, It seems that what matters is not just time, but rather a specific time period. Since you have witnessed and experienced the revival of Keris throughout the process, you see everything through your eyes, while younger generation can only learn through words.
Old 28th August 2024, 10:58 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

You might be right HughChen, but isn't this true of many things?

Our own experience is limited, other things need to be learnt from the experience & knowledge of other people.
Old 29th August 2024, 04:20 AM   #11
HughChen

Quote:
You might be right HughChen, but isn't this true of many things?

Our own experience is limited, other things need to be learnt from the experience & knowledge of other people.