Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
ward

Default Omani not Flask Origins

This is a interesting piece form is Omani but it is very well cast which the Omani's did not do and 3 times heavier than a typical flask also the tulip spout is unusall. Any Ideas on origin on this piece. 9 x 6 inches
Attached Images

ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Default NOT OMANI IN MY OPINION

Hi Ward,
In my opinion this flask form is not of Omani origins, but in fact originates from Northern Arabia.
The Oman has 2 distinct flask types. The flat banana shaped TALAHIQ, usually made of silver,(pic attached), and the seed pod shaped wooden flask, with brass neck and measure attached to it by a chain.
Both of these are shown on page 47 of Elgoods Arms and Armor of Arabia.
The flask you feature here appears on page 48 of the same book. I also have one of these, but mine is formed brass--not cast.
Regards
Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 09:53 PM   #3
ward

The casting is my main issue as far as I am aware it was not done in the Saudi peninsula. I think that the form may have copied in another country such as Eritra or farther east. I do not know exactly where to look for it that is why I am asking.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:19 PM   #4
kahnjar1

I agree with that. I have not seen any construction or decoration of Arabian Peninsula pieces, either blades, flasks or firearms using cast metal, except maybe for small parts of the silver finials on knives. Certainly total construction of items using cast metal originating here is not evident in any of the items I have in my collection. Cast metal, particularly of hilt tops, does appear in knives etc originating in Syria/Lebanon, and probably other areas also.
The flask in question probably is a cast copy from an adjoining area, but I personally have never seen one made this way. Do you know if this item is old, or could it possibly be a modern tourist type copy?
Stu
Old 6th September 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
ward

No antique I looked pretty carefully at the piece and as I said it well cast and finished. A lot of corrosion inside from powder. I have handled tourist pieces to well made for that. I think it is a copy made in a different country and the local resources and artist modified what they had seen the question comes down to where were they doing quality casting and would have embelished this form
Old 7th September 2008, 12:07 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Yes I thought it looked too well made to be tourist, but thought I would ask anyway. If you could establish approx age it might help, but Arabia has been on the "trade routes" for centuries so any neighbouring country that used cast brass in weapons construction could be the place of origin. I would have thought that somewhere close would be more likely as most eastern/islamic countries had specific styles of flasks.
Good luck.
Stu