Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Marcus

Default looking forward

I am very happy to have just found this forum. I was searching for imformation on a sword I just purchased from Artzi Yarom, a Sousson pata (Sailaba) and came upon a very intersting thread from last May. I attach a few pictures of my new piece and look forward to exploring this forum in depth in the future!
Cheers,
Marcus
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Marcus

Default pictures

It appears that I had to rotate my pictures 90 degrees to fit the format of the forum. Live and learn.
Tally ho!
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2005, 03:08 AM   #3
ariel

I thought that one of the features of Sailaba was a T-spine. Was I wrong?
Should we make a distinction between a Sailaba and Islamic Sossun Pattah?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 02:57 PM   #4
RobT

Default Sail=Sailaba?

Hi Marcus,
Welcome, you're gonna love this forum. In a previous thread Jens Nordlunde posted a sosun pata bladed sword with a T-rib that he called a sail. (I believe the thread may have started in May.) The hilt form was the standard Indo/Muslim type except that it had a Hindu basket guard and counterguard added to it. I believe that Jens said the piece was from Hyderbad. Are the sail and the sailaba the same sword or is the name sail reserved only for those swords with a T-rib and/or a basket style hilt guard? If the sailaba is indeed distinct from the sail, what then distinguishes the sailaba from the sosun pata? (This question also applies if the sail and sailaba are one and the same.) Do you know how the names of these pieces are pronounced? Is it sail and sail aba or is it sa il and sa il aba?
Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 31st October 2005 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Marcus

Default looking forward

I will follow this discussion with great interest as I am rather a novice here. I was unfamiliar with this style of sword and bought it because I liked the look of it and I wanted a sword with a Wootz blade. This what Artzi said on his site:
"This sword is of Indian origin, probably central or south India. It is usually referred to as Sousson pata or Sailaba. It is charecterized by the down curving blade, much in the shape of a Turkish Ytaghan blade and the tulwar style handle."

Marcus
Old 31st October 2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Marcus and RobT,
Here is the link http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=Sailaba
I find it interesting, be course it shows that the different weapons were called different names, according to where in India they were used.

Sorry Marcus, very welcome to the forum - I do hope you are an Indian freak, and congratulation with you 'new' sword.

Ariel, I am not quite sure, you may be right that the Sailaba has a 'T' spine more pronounced than the sousan patta. I am not quite sure of this, as I have only seen an bad picture of the sword, and I think that the name Sailaba comes from Turkey, not from India – originally.

Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 31st October 2005 at 09:55 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote