Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
katana

Default African knobkerrie 'ended' staff

African staff / knobkerrie 1.20 metres long, weighs 425 grammes. Nice patination, especially at the 'knobkerrie' end . Copper bound end. Various old dents in the knob suggest that this has been used as a weapon. The 'balance' weight of the copper makes it very agile as a striking weapon.

Due to Colin's comments on Masai Runga's having a 'collar' just before the knob, can I safely assume Masai / Samburu region ? I can easily see this used to herd cattle and as a defensive weapon. Not certain as to how old, but the patination suggests decent age. The wood is tight, straight grained hardwood ....in fact, I actually thought at first that the knob / collar was a seperate piece and looked like Rhino (heavy patination made it difficult to see)......sadly a hot pin test proved otherwise .....worth a try though I thought

All comment, as always greatly appreciated Thank you

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Hi David

Nice staff, it certainly has an East African look to it. The wire binding is similar to the wire Masai women liked to use as adornment. Please see attached image.

Regards
Colin
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
katana

Hi Colin,
thanks for your input.

I suspect the correct term this staff is a "fimbo" .....a weapon, walking stick and defensive implement (used in conjuction with a Same or spear) rolled into one. The preferred length is 1.2 m - 1.5 m ....with the 1.2m , apparently more popular. If Masai, this fimbo would have been owned by a Moran, as it is a dark wood version.

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/m...sp?article=787

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote