Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2005, 10:05 AM   #1
carlos

Talking keris identification

Hi everybody!
This is one of my keris collection. The hilt isnīt ivory, is similar to wood. Could youy tell me something about my keris?
Thanks
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 10:35 AM   #2
DhenTal

Thumbs up Nice Piece, Carlos

Hi Carlos,

You have a really nice kris.
Your scabbard called Gayaman Solo with a pendok slorok. Selut called Jeruk Keprok and a mendak (I can't see what kind of a mendak).
But your hilt.... I never seen before. Like a "Pagoda" at Thailand
It should be made with carefully by the expert.
The carved look so detail. I like that almost it is an uncommon hilt put into Gayaman Solo scabbards. I can't identified about row of the hilt, perhaps another forumities can do it.

If i look a characteristic of your kris (Pasikutan), it can be calle Kris Lok 11 Dapor Sabuk Inten Pamor Ngulit Semongko... but it had no Sogokan.
Alam more correctly, that called this Dapor is Carita Kris Lok 11.
It have a good iron and pamor work. So embed with clear at the blade.
The tangguh can be Mataram Sultan Agung or older.

Nice piece, Carlos.. take good care your kris.

Regards ,
DhenTal.

Last edited by DhenTal; 5th February 2005 at 01:20 PM.
DhenTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Nice Keris. Beautiful blade and pamor.

I think the Dapur is Carita Luk 11. (There is no deep sogokan rangkap which is a characteristic of dapur Sabuk Inten). I may be wrong.
Handle: exotic ukiran (more Maduran style...i think).
The selut is a bit too small for the ukiran. Does not fit nicely, there is a slight gap.
The mendak cannot be seen from the picture angle, though.

Post more pics from below the hilt. to identify the selut type.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 5th February 2005 at 12:57 PM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 01:14 PM   #4
tom hyle

This hilt shape is usually identified as a sexual pod/flower of some kind of plant. I don't remember which. Hard to tell from photos, but it does look like ivory or some kind of tooth to me.
mmmm.... guess selut is ferule; it is the hilt (ukiran; I know that one) that is too small for it, of course, not vice-versa. The ferule is brass (note green rust). It appears to be a Bugis style ferule, and as such there may not be, and doesn't seem to be, a seperate tang-ring (mendak etc.) as such. this ferule likely originally went on an angled "push-dagger" type hilt. The piece appears to be what would in most cutlery fields be called a "marriage", often with a (largely unwarranted) sneer, but a kris' keeper is expected to change its dress for nationalistic, fashion, quality, damage or other reasons. Also, of course, it is all removable, and can readily to changed back. Some kris dress is assembled up out of whatever parts can be obtained for a naked or partly dressed kris, while others have been switched out over the years, perhaps telling a tale of moves and wanderings.

Last edited by tom hyle; 5th February 2005 at 01:57 PM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I do think that the hilt is from Madura in style.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 07:02 PM   #6
nechesh

Hi Carlos, your hilt is not particularly uncommon. Frey refers to it as a Tongkol Jagong, or "corn" style and there are to be found on both East Jawa and Madura. They are often ivory, but i would say that yours is deer antler, not wood. The selut is not in any way Bugis, they are to be found on this form and there is definitely a seperate mendak, you can see the seperation in the close-up where there appears to be a bit of material sticking out, probably used to bind the keris to the hilt. It would appear, however, that as Alam Shah pointed out, this selut is not original to the hilt as it does appear to be a bit too large in diameter. How's the fit on the sheath? If the sheath fits like a glove i would guess that the handle is more than likely a bit out of character for the blade. I do not sneer at the "married" keris per se, but even if Tom is not inclined to believe so, many an "exotic" handle are married to a more "mundane" keris merely to increase it's sales appeal to a western buying public.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote