Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2006, 09:20 PM   #1
archer

Default Okirred Kampilan With Luks

A few Years back, I asked Members privately their opinion of this kampilan and at least one had seen others like it. I'd like to pose that question again adding a request for any information you may have about it?

There is a good chance its made up purely as a tourist item. It's puzzling though that someone went to the added expense of okir and made a nearly one of a kind blade shape. The handle is a replacement and still a work in progress with pencil marks indicating where further carving was intended. Was this ceremonial ? Was it made with a much nicer handle originally? To date, I've not seen another on the net. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2006, 11:57 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Post 1930 ; possibly even 1950's ; nice work most likely from Mindanao .
I have the matching kris .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Agree with Rick. This type of okir engraving/chiseling on the kris blade seems to be mainly Maranao work from the Lake Lanao region, so I would guess that the kampilan has a similar origin. Second half of the 20th C., perhaps a little earlier.

I doubt that the kampilan would have any martial advantage with a few luk towards the hilt. The striking area for a kampilan is the distal third, towards the tip, and any luk near the hilt would not likely come into play with respect to striking or cutting. I think the luk are there for a decorative purpose, perhaps to enhance sales to foreigners who like exotic looking weapons.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote