Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
dzhoka

Question caucasian dagger..1900

I gambled on the ebay .. it looks like caucasian dagger to me perhaps made at the end of 1800 by turkish master but confused...
Summarised opinions could bring a solid idea...thank you all in advance Johhni
paid about 100 usd ..winner or not ?
Attached Images

Last edited by dzhoka; 6th September 2006 at 02:10 AM.
dzhoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivkin

Yep, I would say it comes from Turkey or southern Caucasus, and the date is I would say more towards 1900.

Here is what interesting - the mark is nearly the same as one can see on this sword:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=70932

I strongly suspect that "saudi arabyan sayf" is by far something else, but is it the same mark/same maker/trade blade ?
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 08:02 PM   #3
ariel

Good eye, Rivkin!

Elgood wrote that toward the end of the 19th century Arabia imported quite a lot of Daghestani Shashka blades. That may be the common denominator.

How is Texas, by the way? You should get yourself a six-gallon hat and a truck: otherwise some might take you for a Yankee
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 02:32 AM   #4
Rivkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
How is Texas, by the way? You should get yourself a six-gallon hat and a truck: otherwise some might take you for a Yankee
Well, did not notice too much of a difference - sitting in a dark room and writing proposals in Chicago, or sitting in a dark room in College Station and writing the same proposals, let them be damned but bring me money. On the bad side the state school is somewhat literally dirty and poor, on the good side the faculty is not all distinguished, but nearly dead, the weather is ok (it is getting undeservingly bad rap), the food is good, and there are no arab restaurants in which I used to waste my ailing liver.

I am still looking for a hat, but you can just as well pass for a local by learning to say "no habla ingles, senior" .

P.S. I often think I should have grabbed this industry job.
Old 9th September 2006, 07:34 AM   #5
dzhoka

Talking suspended meening

any specific meening of this three stars....??
will nerrow this question..._ Since what ,aproxsimatelly. period this marks appiared on the serface of blades ( trading blades, ).?? In Turkey , Dagestan.Kabardeen, Chechens ets, My suspition is that Iran was involved in this markings too.
Who likelly first decided to put this marks ?

Northern reguion of California , Napa Valley wines attract a lot of professionals by exclusive smell, aroma,colour and specific tast.It 's only 35 minuts drive from here ..we do it often.
wee doo...
cheers
dzhoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Rivkin

Well, if it would be just one "thingie" this would be a "sun-symbol", so you should have looked for sun-worshippers, like mjalhista tribe from chechnja (who actually did use such symbols). Now three of them together - have not seen this mark before, sorry.