Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question Revolutionary War

Or Dar al Islam ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...522921684&rd=1
The crescents in the grip set me to wodering ....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The handle has a nimcha-esque shape to it, but everything else looks Western to me -- disk guard, D-knuckle bow, double-edged straight blade.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Ian,
The guard reminded me a little of the one on Bill's Parang Nabur , and indeed the grip is nimcha-esque . Too bad that the pictures are terrible . I was also a little surprised at the low price that it fetched if it indeed is American Rev. war era .
I don't have a copy of Peterson's to reference it to .
Sort of an interesting sword nonetheless .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 02:36 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Rick,
Ahah! very astute catch there!!
Actually these interesting items seem to be Spanish colonial sa'ifs which I believe to be from the Moroccan littoral in the Spanish colonies, and Mark Eley and I discussed them some time ago .The grip has the distinct nock for the little finger as seen in nimcha hilts. The striated shellguard is associated with similar symbolism and guards seen on some espada anchas of the 18th c. and certain forms of Spanish hilts. Some of these, such as one I have, carry British blades from latter 18th c. cavalry backswords, probably having arrived in Cueta or other Spanish ports as trade commodity. The British were of course in Spain during Napoleonic Wars and many surplus British blades entered this sphere then. The curious 'Berber' sabres with heavy horn flyssa like hilts that have sabre blades with the strangely profiled tips are usually surplus M1796 British light cavalry blades.

These shellguard swords, which often appear as 'Revolutionary War' or even more amusingly as 'pirate swords', are in my opinion another of the Spanish colonial anomolies which evolved in the early 19th century via the trade routes between North Africa and Spains colonial ports.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote