Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th June 2007, 05:44 PM   #1
katana

Default Chinese sword...Jian ? on Ebay

Followed this item, stated as 19th C but certainly looks 20thC. The blade does look to have quality, with lamination showing...certainly does not look acid etched. If I am correct I think it went relatively cheaply, and wouldn't have minded it in my collection.
I wondered what others thought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...6439&rd=1&rd=1
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
katana

Added some pics of the blade tried to enhance them alittle, best I can do with the small listing pictures....
Attached Images

Old 2nd July 2007, 04:53 PM   #3
josh stout

I would love to have an expert opinion on this one, but I am about 90% sure it is a fake. The fittings seem fanciful, and certainly do not match what I am used to. Also I do not see signs of heat treatment on the blade, which should be visible with this degree of polish.

I am quite suspicious.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Well I am 100% sure it is repro/fake. Why waste money on this sort of thing when you can get something real for the same price or less. How many times has this advice been said here.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

It Screams repro to me!

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
josh stout

Thanks, I was 100% sure, and even went so far as to warn the first bidder, but then as I looked more I became a bit less certain. There are so many aspects of Chinese swords that I do not know.

I am glad to have had my initial suspicion confirmed, and I am glad I gave a warning to at least one bidder.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 06:17 PM   #7
katana

There are a number of manufacturers (some in China, US etc) producing quality, functional Chinese swords with folded blades with heat treatment. Many of these quality repo's sell for $500- $1800, I thought it could be one of these examples. But there was something about the blade that worried me....and I couldn't put 'my finger on it'. Josh's comment on there being no signs of heat treatment ...made me realise 'that's why it didn't look right'.

http://www.angelsword.com/chinese/chinese_home.php

I would like to have a few examples of Chinese swords in my collection....but with so many fakes etc. I had resided myself to the fact a quality functional repo. may have been the way to go