Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Hommine

Question Shamsir

This shamshir has arabic writing and some gold inlay on the pommel. Its size seems quite small to me I guess it is only 83cm from top to bottom: is this unusual?

The handle is made from black material may be ebony wood. It looks rather shiny on the photo but it has not been painted.

Does anyone have any idea about the age of this sword or can tell me more about it?

Hielke
Attached Images

Hommine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 04:58 PM   #2
katana

Hi Hielke,
it looks to me that the blade and crossguard are older and that the hilt is more recent, the wire-work is newer than that ....as it seems to be a repair (to help hold the cross guard) as the top of the wood slab is partially missing.
It is also possible that the cross guard and blade may not have been originally together.

There are others that have excellent knowledge of Shamshirs, hopefully they will provide better information.

It may be a good idea to do a 'window' etch, its difficult to tell from the pictures but there may be a nice surprise....especially if its wootz.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Hommine

David,

Thanks for fast feedback.

How do you do a 'window' etch?

Hielke
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
katana

Hi Hielke,
a window etch is basically cleaning a small area of the blade (the 'window') and then applying a small amount of etchant (vinegar would be fine) to the cleaned 'window' area, and left for 10 -30 minutes. Reaction times vary due to temperature, strength of etchant etc.
It allows you to check the structure of the blade, without removing all the 'patina' from the blade.

If you are lucky enough to find nice laminations or wootz you can then decide whether to clean and etch the entire blade. If the result is not pleasing, remove all traces of the ethchant and wipe with a salt water/vinegar solution (just the window area) repeat this often and a small rusty area will develop. Then gently clean this area. This is done to 'knock back' the shiny appearance of the window which would otherwise 'stand out'.

Other advice on etchants and etching can be found by using the search facillity on this forum. Hope this helps.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Hommine

Default etching

THANKS! I will try tomorrow.

Hielke