Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Question How do they tell if the blade is made of wootz?

In some of my books I have pictures of excavated swords, or mostly only part of the swords, bubbling with rust, but in the text it says ‘blade made of wootz’. I have often asked myself – how is it possible to tell, has the sword been chemical analysed or what?

I know the chemistry of the earth, where the sword is found, can make a very big difference, but if we talk about swords, maybe a thousand years old, any sword would have suffered badly, no mater what kind of chemistry the earth has. Maybe the difference is, that there still is part of the sword left, and in other cases you can trace the sword from the rust marking in the earth. Does anyone know the answer?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Ann Feuerbach

Hi Jens,
Lucky for us, it has been possible to identify some crucible steel objects, even if they have been to some extent corroded. Brian Gilmore determined that the sword from Nishapur in the Met was crucible steel (would not have had a pattern), and I found a few blades (and an ingot) that are. I have some very good evidence where we have a corroded area and an uncorroded area adjacent. Although the metallic metal has oxidixed (corroded), you can see the original structure in as ghost or relic structures in the corrosion products. Without going into the electo-chemistry (which I would need to look up) the pearlite or ferrite matrix has more surface energy and wants to corrode (get back to nature). However, the cementite is more stable, partly because it is spherical. This causes preferential corrosion. The matrix corrodes before the spheroidal cementite.
Word of warning...relic sturctures can also be seen in other types of corroded objects but corrosion can also cause new structues to develop. I have some good references on relic structues if anyone wants them.
This is also one reason why electrolitic reduction can be so damaging.
Ann
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Ann,
Thank you for an interesting explanation, although I can hardly imagine how you are able to see the difference. It must need a very trained eye.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote