Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Mark

Default More dha translations

Alaung Paya, you are likely to get flooded with translation requests, since we have never had anyone with your linguistic expertise on the forum before.

I have three dha with stories on the blade, and I was wondering if any of the texts gives the title/name of the story.

Here is the first one, hopefully not in Pali. I am assuming that the first panels on either side give the name of the story and/or something about the owner or maker. There is more text, but I won't burden you with it (for now ).
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Mark

Here is the second. It is a modern, with fairly crude decoration. The same text appears at the forte on both sides of the blade.
Attached Images

Old 15th March 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Mark

And here is the third. It does not have clear "introductory" panels, so I'm posting all of the text. For now I am only interested in knowing the name of the story being shown, if you can tell from the text.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 16th March 2007, 11:25 AM   #4
~Alaung_Hpaya~

Dha 1 Text 1 & 5 are identical

Shwe Hpyin Nyi Naung Zat
Play / Tale of the Shwe Hpyin brothers ( they are Shwe Hpyin GYi & Shwe Hpyin Nge AKA The Taung-Byon brothers )

http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/Perspectiv...97/nat8-97.htm

Dha 2 Text 1

Maha Bandoola Zat
Play / Tale of Maha Bandoola

http://www.myanmars.net/myanmar-hist...a-bandoola.htm

Dha 3

The last story involves Thiha Bahu Min ( King ) and a couple of princesses as well as a Nat Min . Sorry don't know the story it refers to

Hope that helps .

Mark ,

You can help me by suggesting a few places where I might find for sale antique Burmese dha and the sort of price range you would expect to pay ( I'm guessing about £200 - £2000 depending on quality and age . )

Also have you come across any other personal weaponary from Burma ? ( eg spear , shields or uniform especially armour or helmets - I know in general even Burmese princes did not indulge in armour )

It seems that alot of Burmese antiques find their way out of the country via Thailand to the outside market . I have only seen ornamental daggers for sale in Burma but these are mainly Shan or kachin .

Most families will still keep a fighting dha but these on the whole are merely functional and plain . The only story dha I have seen are in the National Museum . My grandfather used to possess a fighting dha , a spear and a japanese sword although details are fuzzy regarding exactly what they looked like.
~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:44 PM   #5
RhysMichael

Quote:

It seems that alot of Burmese antiques find their way out of the country via Thailand to the outside market . I have only seen ornamental daggers for sale in Burma but these are mainly Shan or kachin .

Most families will still keep a fighting dha but these on the whole are merely functional and plain . The only story dha I have seen are in the National Museum . My grandfather used to possess a fighting dha , a spear and a japanese sword although details are fuzzy regarding exactly what they looked like.
I have enjoyed reading these translations. We have been anxious to find someone who was willing to do this for us for a while so let me add my thanks to the others here.

I sent you some links on reputable dealers I have dealt with for dha. In addition I have found that following the UK ebay will often let you find ones not always available elsewhere. It only makes sense in that a number of dha were brought back home during the British colonial period
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Mark

Outstanding! Thank you so much, Alaung Hpaya. I have sent you a PM about dealers, though I expect John has already identified the ones I know about.

I have found non-dha weaponry to be very scarce. I have found one Thai long shield (dheng), and one Burmese spear. The spear, however, is not old and I have no idea whether it even is an accurate representation of an historical pattern. I think a major problem in locating armor is that padded cloth and leather, or no armor at all, where used. General Bandoola (the namesake of Maha Bandoola) wore a set of Indian composite chain and plate mail, but that was considered to be unusual. Why so few spears are around I cannot say, unless it is because they are less durable and for the most part lack historical or cultural significance, and are even more obsolete than the dha.

Bob Hudson, an Australian archeologist who excavates in Burma has told me that the Burmese are great recyclers, as well, which could also explain the scarcity of old metal objects that have out-lived their usefulness.
Old 16th March 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
~Alaung_Hpaya~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Bob Hudson, an Australian archeologist who excavates in Burma has told me that the Burmese are great recyclers, as well, which could also explain the scarcity of old metal objects that have out-lived their usefulness.

I have read some of his paper on Bagan and Pyu excavations . The Burmese are great recyclers : that is why I suggested that the dha with 2 dates may well be a composite of many parts and the embellishment may well be a genuine part from an older piece .

Similarly the Buddhist acceptance of the impermanence of material objects has resulted in a lack of sentimentality for things antique until recently when it seems there's an industry to "antique" any arts or craft to please the growing tourist and internal markets . The only thing preventing a widespread resurgence in dha making is the junta's suppression of the manufacture of anything that might be used against them .

However the Burmese are resourceful . The weapon du jour in 1988 against the government troops by the people was not the dha but the jin-gli ( sharpened bicycle spokes poisoned with faeces launched from hand catapults )
~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote