Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th November 2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Ed

Default The Anvil has entered the building

From that ebay auction that I won from a few weeks ago.

It is interesting to examine something so mundane as an anvil. Though we should bear in mind that it was the tool of a highly respected profession.

This one is clearly "of the period" whatever that period happens to be ... more on that later.

It is clear where the billet was folded over to create the width of the object.

Also note the color. I have noted a few traces of green but to a much less extent than the red. Michael ... Nuremberg? At some point the entire thing was painted.

The design is that tree of life thingie as Michael noted earlier. One thing that close examination shows is that the "globes" on the tree actuelly had spikes, now thoroughly worn.

From these two detail pictures you can see that this anvil was, indeed, as Michael conjectured, used as what we now call a "Hardy Tool". That is an specialized addition to a larger anvil that fits into those funny holes that you see on them. The giveaway is the turned edge that mounting in wood would not give ... though I wouldn't rule such a mounting out.

Thus:

So ... from when? 15-16th c. out not be crazy but such a thing could have been made at virtually any time. It could have been painted anytime and the decoration ... well I would bet that that was stamped when the metal was hot. There is no evidence of the edge that gets formed with cold stamping.

So, where are we? German/Austrian, earlt renaissance? Maybe Nurenburg (could get the paint tested I suppose.)

Part of a blacksmith's panoply. If this is generally correct, it was doubtless used, if even occassionally, in the manufacture of arms and armor and thus has a place in my collection.

hows that for justification?

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Ed,

I fully agree with your justification.

Traces of red lead (minium) paint - you sure caught me there! - sounds a lot like 16th/17th century by the latest.

Anyway, I am covinced that you got a very early piece. A tentative attribution to Nuremberg or - in general - South Germany/Austria/The Tyrol (within their historical boundaries respectively) - cannot be generally excluded although that sort of hardy tools was made identically all over Western Europe .

In any case it seems extremely attractive to me! Well done, buddy.

Maybe I should start purchasing my 16th century harquebuses from ebay

Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Ed,

Maybe I should start purchasing my 16th century harquebuses from ebay

Michael
Recall that that is where I got my Dopplehacken which was the genisis of our friendship.

Old 17th November 2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Ed,

I was not aware that you got your Doppelhaken from ebay - holy cow, man! I will keep a close eye on all matchlock and wheel-lock harquebuses on ebay from now!

Btw, all sorts of guns and gun parts are banned from ebay Germany, regardless of how old or relic they may be. So I will have to search on ebay.com and and have any purchases sent to your home.

Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Ed,

I was not aware that you got your Doppelhaken from ebay - holy cow, man! I will keep a close eye on all matchlock and wheel-lock harquebuses on ebay from now!

Btw, all sorts of guns and gun parts are banned from ebay Germany, regardless of how old or relic they may be. So I will have to search on ebay.com and and have any purchases sent to your home.

Michael
No problems.