Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th June 2016, 04:49 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Nice Ceremonial/Dress Coorg Pichangetti With All the "Bells and Whistles"

Coorg pichangettis are rare enough under any circumstances, but imagine my excitement when I saw this one!

This example is mounted with ivory scales with hilt mounts(pommel cap, top star motif, and rivet caps) in gold (looks low grade), with a real silver bolster. The scabbard is wood mounted with silver fittings dressed in matching gold wire and gold chape terminal cap. The gold decorations to the chape are applied separately to the silver and may be later additions, or perhaps this is a presentation piece or gift. Note the initials "C.P.R." (...which, by the way, is what I needed when I saw it!) to the gold plate above the crossed ayda kattis and also on the silver plate above the personal tools.

The heavy silver chain leads to a "belt" of silver "tear drops" culminating in the silver plate, hook, and silver personal tools, plus an interesting charm in the form of a Coorg ayda katti. Note also the silver lined tang between the scales and the more usual silver "steps" inserted into the tang.

I am assuming this is a late 19th to mid 20th century piece, but would love any input on its possible age.

I am even more curious as to how these were worn and wonder if any of our members may have access to a period photo of one being worn correctly???

Dimensions:
Overall length, minus accoutrements: 12.25in.
Blade length: 6.5in.
Blade width at the widest point: 1.5in.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 4th June 2016 at 06:09 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote