Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
pallas

Default weapons of the honghuzi?

i was just wondering if anyone here has and knowledge of the bladed/percussion weapons the honghuzi used during their raids against the russian settlements in the priamur/primorye from 1840-1950, the honghuzi have been an interest of mine for a while now, but i havent been able to find much in the way of detailed information on them, their ethnic makeup, raiding strategies, weapons, relations with chinese/manchu authorities, ect.......
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

UNFORTUNATELY I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS GROUP OR ITS WEAPONS BUT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN READING WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED SO FAR.
I SEEM TO REMEMBER SOMETHING ABOUT SOME KIND OF PERCUSSION WEAPON THAT WOULD FIRE A BULLET WHEN YOU STRUCK SOMEONE OR SOMETHING WITH IT, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IT WAS NOT DESIGNED AS A WEAPON BUT WAS USED AS ONE IN SOME CONFLICT TOO MUCH DATA TO REMEMBER BRAIN OVERLOAD I DID A SEARCH ON THE CURRENT FORUM ARCHIVES AND CAME UP WITH YOUR POST BUT DID NOT TRY THE FORUM ARCHIVES SO YOU MIGHT SEARCH THERE USING hONGHUZI OR PERCUSSION WEAPON ECT. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
pallas

the Honghuzi (meaning "red beards" supposedly because thats what the chinese called the russians when they first appreared in the amur/baikal region in the late 1600s, because of the russians "barbarity" and rough treatment of the tungus/yakuts and the imposition of the yasak and the "women tax" as examples, the chinese eventually used the words to describe their own bandits and outlaws)) where bandits who operated out of manchuria, as to weather they where manchu or han chinese or a mixture of both, im not certain, but they raided russian settlements in the priamur, primorye and sometimes even the transbaikal for over a century...(im not sure of the exact date of when they started raiding russian territory, im guessing since the 1840s-50s when the russians became active in the amur region again)

here is an excerpt from "the russian far east: a history" by john j stephan:

"to cope with the ubiquitous Honghuzi, the Khudyakovs erected watchtowers, dug underground bunkers and kept their powder dry, enabling them to repulse periodic assaults. less provident homesteaders took fatal risks. one day in 1879 a finnish sea captain,Fridolf Heeck returned to his home in Sidemi on an Amur bay peninsula opposite Vladivostok to find his house in ruins, his common law wife and manservant slaughtered and his seven year old son abducted. What befell the Khudyakov and Heeck families threatened isolated southern Primorye settlements well into the 20th century."

the american expeditionary force that occupied the russian far east in 1919 apparently took casualties from the honghuzi

some honghuzi may have operated as late as the sino russian border war in 1968.
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote