Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Gary Varner

Default Spear markings

I recently acquired this Ngbandi spear. I have seen several others in photos that show similar markings on the shaft (a central hole with several smaller holes around it). Does anyone know what the significance of these are? Are they simply tribal/regional markings?

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Images

Gary Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Good question. Looks like there is a life time are two's study of marks and decoration on weapons. Many Ngandi and other Congo peoples weapons have these features. Do they mean something? I suspect on most they do or have originated as a expression of something. They might have an origin in a local numerology as mentioned in other threads, or a symbol of the peoples view of thier place in the scheme of things and work as a talisman. They might be a form of proof mark not in a way of industrial weapons but still a sign that the weapon is made ready. It may be necessary to check oneself at times and accept that some decoration may just be decoration. However it is interesting that these punch marks on the socket are so frequently seen and with some variation. Here are two of mine.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Gary Varner

Thanks Tim! I find symbolism to be very fascinating so I will probably come up with more questions from time to time. I agree that they may be purely decorative but since I had seen several photos of other spears with almost the same design I was somewhat interested in what others would think. Your idea that they may be the makers mark to indicate a finished product is also interesting and I hadn't thought of that. I did however think that their is a possibility that they represent some solar symbol or something of numeric symbolism.
Gary Varner is offline   Reply With Quote