Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2008, 01:24 AM   #1
richinmich

Default African Spears for sale

First, thanks to all that expressed interest in the Moro Kriss I had for sale. Since the site was down, I ended up selling it on ebay, but I believe a forum member won it and I had alot of worldwide interest.

Anyway, for sale are two African spears. They came from a man who was on an elephant safari near the Limpopo River Valley in then southern Zimbabwe in 1985. (I saw the certificates for his tusks for that trip, so I know he was there. ) His safari leader was a military officer who took him to a local village as a side trip. The village huts were built on stilts for protection against animals at night, and when they had to go out at night these were what they carried from hut to hut for protection. I am not sure how much protection they would be against a large animal, but that's their history. According to him they were not new but used when he got them so I do not know their actual age but they appear used and .

The two spears are not exact matches, but are very very close. The wooden shaft which show signs of being hand made is approximately 40 inches long, and the metal spear tip is about 10 inches long. The part of the shaft where the metal tip of the point joins the wooden shaft is covered by tightly wrapped fiber cord and appears to have some sort of coating of a substance like a hard wax or perhaps just accumulated dirt from the ages. There are four areas of had cut circular/ crossed line decoration on the shaft, and the base of the shaft is slightly thincker in diameter than the rest of the shaft which is approx. an inch diameter.

The spear heads are blackened and show signs fo forging and hammer blows and are unrusted.

I would like to sell these. I am asking $100.00 Dollars US apiece or $170 for both plus shipping. Shipping in the US is $20 for one or both, and that includes insurance. Obviously international shipping is more and is the cost of the shipping. I am selling these and a few other items toward a very nice European rapier. I will leave then on this site for a week and if they do not sell will put them on ebay. I tried to attach pictures, but was unable to, but you want pics, you can contact me at Richinmich53@aol.com. thanks for looking Rich
richinmich is offline   Reply With Quote