Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Jason Anstey

Default Kuban Cossack Kinjal Commission

Hi there,

Following up on my previous post here is the beginning!!!

I just received some progress photos of my first custom piece that is under way. My fiance is from Kuban Cossack ancestry, so I decided to have a Kinjal commissioned. After some research into Bulat (Russian Crucible Steel ) I found information on Ivan Kirpichev who is a master of this lost art of making this type of steel. I believe that Wootz is similar in metallurgy. Who better to make a Russian dagger than a Russian! The handle and scabbard are to be made by Oleg Krymlin.

I supplied some reference pics from my research to Mr Kirpichev but also gave he and Mr Krymlin free license on the detailing of the fittings with the only stipulation that it be understated rather than overly decorative.

Mr Kirpichev has kindly given me permission to post these pics.

So without further ado here is the progress thus far!

Jason Anstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Jason Anstey

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I updated this post, THe Kinjal is almost finished and here is the progress. THere are too many pics so here is a link

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x52/Cheat162/kinjal/

Cheers

Jason
Old 17th February 2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Jason Anstey

final pics

cheers

Jason

Old 18th February 2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

That is an absolutely beautiful piece Jason! Thank you very much for showing the pictures of the work in progress, which is fascinating and a subject I honestly had never paid much attention to. While my focus is obviously on studying antique historic weapons, it is a pleasure to see such nice work honoring the ancestry of your fiance'...nicely done, and congratulations!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Jason Anstey

Many thanks Jim!

I can't wait to get it in my hands, and it will be a handed down as an heirloom.

Now I have to decide how to display it??

Cheers

Jason
Old 18th February 2008, 02:21 PM   #6
ariel

Jason,
Why did you decide to have a contemporary kindjal made?
Obviously, the blade is very, very pretty.
However, it must have cost a pretty penny. For that money you could have gotten yourself an authentic KKV kindjal, with history behind it.
Moreover, even Caucasian kindjals were rarely, if ever, made of wootz. Kuban Cossacks got their weapons from Zlatoust, not the Caucasus, and their kindjals were much more utilitarian.
Please understand: I am not criticising you. It's your money, your taste, your wish to collect whatever you want. I am just intrigued why would one go for a modern rendition when originals in a very good shape are aplenty?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Jason Anstey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Jason,
Why did you decide to have a contemporary kindjal made?
Obviously, the blade is very, very pretty.
However, it must have cost a pretty penny. For that money you could have gotten yourself an authentic KKV kindjal, with history behind it.
Moreover, even Caucasian kindjals were rarely, if ever, made of wootz. Kuban Cossacks got their weapons from Zlatoust, not the Caucasus, and their kindjals were much more utilitarian.
Please understand: I am not criticising you. It's your money, your taste, your wish to collect whatever you want. I am just intrigued why would one go for a modern rendition when originals in a very good shape are aplenty?
Hi Ariel,

No problems with your question.

I started looking at Russian smiths out of interest and started reading about wootz bulat etc.

My collection is smallish. I have antique Tamahagane and Modern Tamahagane, I have an old Dha and a new daab made from Namphee steel. A nice modern made Keris from Bali and one day I will get a nice older one.

I now have a modern kinjal that is made from crucible steel, At some stage I will probably purchase an older Kinjal from Zlatoust at some stage, but records do indicate that bulat sabres were made there and there would be the possibility of the odd higher quality kinjal being made - but I only speculate here as this is not overly important to me at this point in time.

I believe that this blade is somewhat unique and will fit in nicely in my collection of different steels from different cultures.

As my small amount of knowledge increases I hope to able to judge what is a decent older kinjal from what seems to be a pretty crowded market and purchase accordingly.

I was expecting the decoration to be more utilitarian - and was surprised that it was so detailed, but I did give the maker a relatively open slate, maybe I set the budget too high, so he erred on the more elaborate style of fittings, I don't know.

So I hope this rambling explains a little of the "madness in my method"

Cheers

Jason