Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Horsa

Parade axe is for non-military use - I think it is a combination of official use and religious such as the Sufi ceremonies. There are some good previous threads on this topic.

Well made examples of these flat Persian crescent shaped axes can be found in the major collections in Europe so they do have collectable and historic value. The challenge is to find good quality workmanship and avoid the poorly made examples that were just for the tourist market. So they are ok, as long as you understand they are not for military use then you wont be disappointed.

There are some crescent axes out there that were indeed for military use however. Like the Bardiche, certain types of european cavalry axe and other types of Islamic axes. But the one looks very typical Qajar.
Horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Iliad

Default Indo Persian Axe

Horsa,
thank you for your assistance, much valued. I have just increased my store of knowledge.
Best,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Iliad

Default Indo Persian Axe

I have just had another thought..................if there are such things as parade axes, are there also Parade spears/lances, parade swords, Parade daggers, Parade shields, parade polearms?
I am not trying to be clever, I really want to know.
Brian
Old 1st October 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliad
I have just had another thought..................if there are such things as parade axes, are there also Parade spears/lances, parade swords, Parade daggers, Parade shields, parade polearms?
I am not trying to be clever, I really want to know.
Brian
In a way, yes ... as also Cerimonial, Processional, Masonic; like swords with gold sheaths and hilts, loaded with jewels often with a non sharp edge; polearms with exuberant decorations, etc. A great lot of stuff is developed to show signs of power or and wealth, or to perform rituals, not directioned to combat purposes.
But you also know all that, if you give it a thought .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
estcrh

If you want to see examples of axes take a look here.

http://www.pinterest.com/samuraianti...ammer-and-axe/
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Iliad

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
If you want to see examples of axes take a look here.

http://www.pinterest.com/samuraianti...ammer-and-axe/
I have looked at this link and am amazed at the variety and quality of the items shown. Thank you so much for providing the reference.
Brian
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Iliad

Default Indo Persian axe

Greetings Horsa,
I noted your reference to Sufi festivals and followed it up. I am attaching an interesting pic which shows the use of sharp objects.
Brian
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliad
For sure. Ornate, and not sharp can tell you "parade". (Why not sharp? You don't want your ceremonial guards accidentally getting hurt.) When firearms make various cold weapons obsolete, they sometimes live on as parade weapons. It's still done - modern soldiers still have parade swords.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote