Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th February 2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The Folding Version of the Lohar.

I am fairly sure that the modern application of copied Lohar today includes many that are for sale in the famous Chicken Street Kabul Souk...It is a subject the young apprentices in many workshops will be tasked with making..Here it is in its folding version.

I just wanted to add that the superb detail presented by Mahratt is excellent background into this tool/weapon of Afghanistan.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
I just wanted to add that the superb detail presented by Mahratt is excellent background into this tool/weapon of Afghanistan.
Yep
this guy wrote a book and devoted more than 40 pages to this topic, p. 392-435. He is THE expert.

About
Stone's Glossary
I think it's a good proof to say that your Lohar is original and very similar in Stone's book.
About 'The handle and the back of the blade are inlaid with silver.
In fact it was probably the front as many arms are decorated on one side, the side exposed and not the back side.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'd like to also second the comments on the work of Dima, his brilliant book, and his scholarship as evidenced by this outstanding study of the 'lohar'.
I recall years ago trying to study these, and in a kind of 'red herring' event, thought that the term was for the language and term 'lohar' used to describe itinerant blacksmiths who traveled these regions and fashioned these (as thought) and other tools and weaponry(?).

Stone believed these to be indiginous to the Bannuchi tribes inside the Khyber area, and that the men fashioned their own 'lohar' in personalized fashion.
That would seem rather suspect as such skills are not inherent in every man.

These are fascinating implements, whatever capacity in which they are regarded, and excellent ethnographic items from these Afghan regions.
As always, whether agricultural or utility item, these served as well as weapons of opportunity or warfare. The rank and file of many tribal forces often relied on tools and implements as their weapons as needed.

I would note that these 'lohar' seem to often be of rather small size, but I have always thought that made them ideal for concealment within the folds of clothing. This would serve well in the times with weapons forbidden by occupying forces as well as use by assassins.
The 'pick' type blade would well penetrate a turban with force of a haft.

Outstanding work Dima!! Thank you for the references as well!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

My (non-folding) example. I would estimate late 19th C. The hilt has a wooden core with brass adornments.

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

And a folding type for comparison.

Ian

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote