Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Conogre

Default Japanese Axe or Gardening Tool?

I ran across this item on Ebay and THINK that this is a long handled version of a Japanese gardener's tool, similar to a short handled version that I bought a couple of years ago (it was ID'd here, but I lost track and can't find it in a search, so assistance would be appreciated there as well), being sold as a European 1700's-1800's pole arm or halberd.
After e-mailing the seller, he's pulled it and given me permission to see if anyone here can ID it, not wanting to commit fraud (or get sued!**grin**)
The first photo is the piece in question, about 48" OA, while the 2nd is the samller one that I have....again, I may be off base, but the heads of both items appear essentially the same to me, differing in length and size primarily.
As always, any assistance would be appreciated, in this case by both of us.
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Montino Bourbon

I believe that this is a chinese tool; it's made to split wood, and the beak is to protect the edge if you go through to the ground, although why anyone would split wood without using a piece of wood to set the wood that you are splitting on is beyond me. I have heard this described as being used to split wood for the cooking fire...
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Conogre

LMAO!
I originally posted this (the smaller one) several years ago, with the response that it was a Japanese gardening tool and someone actually found the name.
When I saw the larger one, the similarity in blade style caught my eye, and the longer haft, along with the weight at the end, made me think of a pruning bill, a european tool often used as a weapon in medievil eras that actually evolved into a halberd-like weapon referred to as an "English bill".
What I found amusing about your comment was that (excuse the crappy photo) I'm currently re-hafting it after using it for exactly that purpose, with the split handle (secured to the tang with an old square nail and then an iron ring at the top) not strong enough, making me think that the gardening tool is a more fitting use!
One of the hazzards of obtaining a piece at a very low price is that occasionally one is tempted to try them out when the need arizes, and no, I don't think it was the age of the wood that led to the break, but rather just the style of mounting.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 02:15 AM   #4
tom hyle

The tip extension is seen on some mainland SE Asian mak or arit(?). The flat tang may then have some interesting relation to the one on your sperm whale tip sword (I usually call 'em chomp whales or Moby whales, but just for clarity I'm rolling with dialect instead or idialect....) we recently discussed, which I also found aritesque/mak-like. The anling is different than a mak, and I think yours with the short handle would fall into the category generally translated "mountain axe". If anything the extended beak may take it into another category, but I don't think it does. The other is similar, but may well have a different name, with its long handle and weighted ferule. I got a cool heavy Japanese knife recently too, and will post pics by and by. It has a narrow nonsharp extension that comes straight out the end of the blade, not at a right angle like these; I'm not sure what that's for, unless it's for standing it in the ground as storage, but things like this usually have a scabbard.....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote