Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2005, 04:24 PM   #1
scarroy

Default I need help for my keris

Hello I'm newbie on the forum,I'm french and my english is not terrible, so sorry.
I went in indonesia (java et bali) 15 years ago, many times and I bought some kriss.
Today I decided to restore and repair it, so i need help
First to clean and stain the blade, what is the process exactly, with lime juice,arsenic,realgar(waranga)?
Thank you-Terima kassih.
Attached Images

scarroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 09:13 PM   #2
Michel

Welcome Scarroy,
Your bunch of kris reminds me of some other kris owned by a french gentleman who bought them also some 15 to 20 years ago, when he was working with the BRGM and making geologic surveys in Kalimantan. He was a geologist and had the great idea of utilizing geologic softwares to analyze the pamor of the kris. He was transfered in a French Embassy in Poland and we lost his great idea. Too sad.
Before you start your cleaning and staining of your many krisses, you should make a search in the previous Forum, as the subject was extensively discussed in several occasions.
I have cleaned many, many krisses and other asian edge weapons but have still problems with staining. We can discuss that in french, outside of the forum, if my experience has any interest for you.
Regards,
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Michel

Hi Scarroy, this is the last thread on the subject , but there are many more in the old forum

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...&referrerid=48

Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 10:14 PM   #4
nechesh

Hi Scarroy, welcome to the forum. Here is a link i think you might find more useful: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000717.html
I am glad to hear you are interested in doing some restoration on your keris. You might want to start by not piling up your pieces like so much garbage. Please excuse me if it sounds like i am scolding you, but frankly, looking at the photo you posted was downright painful for me. For some of us the keris is more than just another dagger to collect, but also a cultural symbol with much spiritual significance. But even if it is just another dagger for you, you will have a whole lot less to restore if you treated them a little more carefully.
Just a hint to add to the washing and staining process you find in the link i've suggested. Use distilled water only and you will have less trouble. Weather is also a factor, especially the temperature on the day you do your staining.

Last edited by nechesh; 11th January 2005 at 11:40 AM.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
scarroy

bonjour Michel voici mon adresse
tdkroy@tele2.fr

à bientot.
scarroy is offline   Reply With Quote