Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th October 2010, 05:42 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Igorot (Ifugao?) Pinahig Bolo & Hat/Crown w/Monkey Skulls

I'm further trimming my Philippines collection in an effort to free up more acquisition capital for a collection of swords I have had my eye on... Thus, I am parting with another couple items out of the same collection from which the blowgun came, collected by the same anthropologist in the mid-20th C.

For your consideration are a pair of Igorot items - a Pinahig bolo and a crown - from the same tribe (Ifugao?). Both are decorated with Long-Tailed Macaque skulls. The crown, which is made of intertwined rattan, is further embellished with cloth, beads, and feathers.

The Pinahig bolo measures 17.375 inches / 44.13 cm in overall length with a blade that measures approx. 12.5 inches / 31.75 cm. The blade is marked with what looks like an "ER" on the obverse. I'll upload a photo of the mark in the next day or so.

An extremely cool pair of items. Priced at $325 for the pair, plus shipping worldwide. Paypal okay.
Attached Images

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:56 PM   #2
laEspadaAncha

I've attached a couple more pictures of the pinahig below, including one of the stamp on the blade. Speaking of the blade, the spine is reasonably thick, measuring 5.4mm at the hilt.

To answer a question I received regarding the monkey skulls, the long-tailed macaque is listed as "low risk," subject only to export quotas from Indonesia.
Attached Images

Old 25th October 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
laEspadaAncha

New pic and new price: $300 + shipping.

Paypal okay.
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
laEspadaAncha

Okay - one last modification to "sweeten the deal." If this doesn't sell, I will be accepting an offer made by a forumite over the weekend.

For the $300 + shipping, I will also include at no cost the following items that came from the same anthropologist's collection:

Three old rattan containers/vessels, including one that appears to possibly be a quiver, a lidded vessel that reminds me of a tortilla warmer, and a third double-necked corked vessel that appears to be a canteen. The item that appears to be a quiver measures approx. 13.25 inches / 34 cm in length, while the item that appears to be a canteen measures approx. 10 inches / 25 cm in length.

All were made to be functional, i.e., they are made for native use, not for plying to the tourist trade. All are connected together with thin (but sturdy) rattan binding. I do not know from what island or region they were originally collected.

These had a place amongst a larger collection, which as it is now being downsized, will now hopefully find a new home where they will be displayed with pride.

Given their light weight, I don't really foresee their inclusion impacting the shipping costs of the crown and Pinahig bolo.
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2010, 04:16 PM   #5
laEspadaAncha

Now reduced to $300 including shipping for all five items shown above...
Old 8th November 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Sold... thank you.