Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th November 2010, 06:57 PM   #61
Edster

Hi Vandoo,

That's a fine Kaskara. I have photographs of three swords in Shengiti Collection at the Univ. of Khartoum that have identical haft designs with the four diamonds. Field notes say they were made in the village of Wager on the Gash River that flows out of Ethiopia. Shengiti was a Sudanese scholar, statesman and jurist and the swords were gifts to him. I haven't been able to date his activity. Probably around Sudanese independence.

Another note says that Ehiopian swords have no lines or fullers in them, but have a (makers?) mark on them. Your photo has no lines, but those in the Shengiti have a scooped out fuller. I'm not convinced that Ethiopian swords havd no fullers or scoops. Some blades in Ethiopian were made in Europe and brought into Ethiopia by Italian troops during the colonial period.

Another note says that the man who etched moon faces and reclining lions on blades died in 1960. Unfortunately, my notes didn't focus on dating and origin of blades except in passing. Would have a different if I were there today.

A web site describes iron smelting in 2004 in a village in SE Ethiopia. No doubt the practice is very old. Perhaps Ethiopian swordsmiths used this iron to make steel and make proper sword blades. So much field work to do and so little time.

Best regards,
Edster
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 12:57 PM   #62
katana

Durham University have kindly given me permission to post Ali Dinar's Kaskara. This sword first mentioned by Aris (Rumpel). As you can see the diamond patterning is similar, but not so well executed,so perhaps suggests that my Kaskara might have links with Dinar's reign.

"...........This particular photo comes from our Treasures of Durham University Library book and the sword itself will form part of a Treasures exhibition in the library’s new Wolfson Hall which is due to open in January..."

Regards David

Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 15th November 2010 at 01:08 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 07:45 PM   #63
stephen wood

...quite possibly, after all, he is said to have owned one thousand swords

Last edited by stephen wood; 15th November 2010 at 08:12 PM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 06:29 PM   #64
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...quite possibly, after all, he is said to have owned one thousand swords

Hi Stephen,
thanks for that....he also is alleged to have had around 120 sons ....obviously a very busy man

With such a large family...perhaps Dinar's kaskara...or more likely one of his son's

"...........Palace records had been scrupulously maintained and one book, using a page for each lady who bore them, listed the names of about 120 of the Sultan’s sons. MacMichael forgot what the number of daughters was......"

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/224322.html

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote