Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2014, 08:21 PM   #31
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multumesc
We found that the shield was brought from Syria.I want you to help me with translate of the text.Thank you very much.
Speaking of acid, this shield was made by acid-etch technique with some hand engraved touches, and it's a bazaar production. It certainly could have been sold in Syria, just as in any other Eastern or Asian market where acid etch items were produced for the tourist market.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 01:16 PM   #32
Multumesc

Default SHIELD RESTORED

Most of the weapons in history, were purchased in the bazaar. My shield is old and original.The shield is not tourist. You've seen the pictures look like before restoration?Acid etching weapons (swords, halberds, shields, etc.) is many hundreds of years ago. Anyway thank you very much for your opinion. But I am interested in more than what is written on it.Below is a picture from the 19th century that authentic military weapons (swords, shields) were sold in the bazaar in Syria.So how to translate text on the shield?Thank you.
Attached Images

Multumesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 01:24 PM   #33
Multumesc

Default SHIELD RESTORED

Below is a picture from the 19th century that authentic military weapons (swords, shields) were sold in the bazaar in Syria.
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2014, 02:59 PM   #34
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multumesc
Most of the weapons in history, were purchased in the bazaar. My shield is old and original.The shield is not tourist. You've seen the pictures look like before restoration?Acid etching weapons (swords, halberds, shields, etc.) is many hundreds of years ago. Anyway thank you very much for your opinion. But I am interested in more than what is written on it.Below is a picture from the 19th century that authentic military weapons (swords, shields) were sold in the bazaar in Syria.So how to translate text on the shield?Thank you.
It is what it is. And it is a tourist item. "Bazaar production" does not mean where it was sold, it means how it was made and what buyer it was intended for. It was made in a quickest and cheapest way possible, to be sold to anyone, as souvenir or gift. You're making a mistake assuming that rust and oxidation are signs of age and originality. They are not. The quality and features of the item are!
Also, what acid-etched weapons you mentioned are hundreds years old?
Have you considered 19th century revival acid-etched items comparing to your shield?
What do you mean by "old and original"? Specifically, how old do you think this shield is and of what origin?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 10:39 AM   #35
Multumesc

Default SHIELD RESTORED

Thank you very much for your opinion Alex.
Old 22nd February 2014, 05:35 PM   #36
Multumesc

Default SHIELD RESTORED

I had better pictures with text Farsi. I copied the text with a marker on a special paper for translate...ll pray especially Mr. AJ1356 if I can translate the text on the shield.You said it FARSI text.Please both you and the entire forum - Ethnographic Weapons-in translating this text because I like oriental culture.Thank you for your support and especially appreciate the effort that you submit in knowledge of history.Multumesc.
Old 5th March 2014, 06:47 PM   #37
Multumesc

Default SHIELD RESTORED

On a shield almost identical mine I found these words.What do you think about these words? Thank you very much gentlemen.
Attached Images