Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2011, 03:26 AM   #31
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm with Jonathan on this one - would be helpful to see the top plate on this and not many with this silver plate top around.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 01:23 AM   #32
Spunjer

for comparison:
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 04:01 AM   #33
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

WoW !!
Real similar Ron ...
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 04:15 AM   #34
Spunjer

was going thru the archives when i found this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2394

seems to be there's a point in time when these type of kris was en vogue. question is, what prompted this type, and was it pre 1900
Old 14th April 2011, 09:37 AM   #35
kai

These engraved kris here and in the linked thread show less sophisticated craftmanship than typical (even late) 19th century examples - I think there's good reason to believe that these got produced during the American occupation while Yanni's kris is clearly pre-Span-Am war.

The better examples of these engraved kris may date to a transitional period (possibly 1900-1930) while others with much inferior workmanship are obviously later (still mainly being made for use in the culture though - no tourist toys).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 02:28 PM   #36
Spunjer

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but it just so happen this is the first one i found while i was looking for yout kris, rick, since i remember you had a similar type of blade. Anyways, regarding the one i just posted, i initially picked it up because of the blade. The pommel was completely tarnished to the point i initially thought it was wood. After i paid for it and started to walk away was when i realized it's metal. It would be another week or so when i decided to clean it up and that's when i found out the pommel and collar were actually silver. Wouldn't that denote that whoever commissioned this has some extra cash lying around? Now that we have examples from different classes, does this mean that this was the in thing for a certain period? Going back to my naga kris: it appears that there's a dew of those types that are popping up as well. My point is, it looks like the moros at that point in time have some type of clanship (beside their tribal affiliation) going on, i.e. the Naga Clan has those naga type kris and here you have the Vine Clan...