Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2010, 03:49 PM   #31
fearn

Nope. Mask came from a workshop somewhere. The point with the mask is that, once a pattern gets put into a book, ANYONE who can buy that book can make something based on that pattern.

Just because a piece of art (or that mask) features details reminiscent of some part of the world, it doesn't follow that it came from there.

Your club reminds me of the mask, because they both have the fang-filled mouth, the asian nose, and the head-dress above it. While the mask is sold on Hawaii, I've never seen a native Hawaiian piece that looks like it.

I suspect that club came from something of the same tradition. Someone got inspired by some pictures somewhere and made it.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 02:44 AM   #32
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I THINK THESE MASKS ARE MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES AND SHIPPED TO HAWAII AND OTHER DESTINATIONS FOR SALE AS SOUVINEERS. TO MY KNOWLEGE THEY DON'T REPRESENT ANY TRUE ETHINOGRAPHIC MASK AND ARE PURELY TIKI PARAFANIALA. I HAVE SEEN THIS MASK WITH A DRAGON OR A LION ON THE FOREHEAD AND IN LARGE TO SMALL SIZES. I HAVE THREE DIFFERENT VARIATIONS ON MY WALLS. YES I ALSO HAVE A TIKI COLLECTION AND LISTEN TO THE EXOTIC TIKI MUSIC.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 04:55 PM   #33
fearn

Works for me, Vandoo. Thanks for the information on the mask. I've wondered about it. I had mine hung on a cork-board for years, with clear tacks in all the eyeholes. It was more impressive that way.

Getting back to the original topic of the club, I've seen that "head-dress" above the club's face now on Hawaiian tikis (the real thing), PNW shark images (no, it's NOT PNW), and on a Philippine tiki mask made for those who travel.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:29 PM   #34
Gavin Nugent

Default Solomon Islands

Solomons it is, now the third such club of this form I have noted.
The image attached is from a well known and long established tribal auctioneer.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote