Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2011, 01:28 PM   #31
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Perhaps A.alnakkas is referring to member's abilities to ID specific Moro tribes such as the Maguindanao, Maranao or Tausug. It must be remembered that the Moro are not all one people or culture.
Ahh, i thought these are seperate tribes. I had this idea that filipine has many tribes and each has a form of kris! Thanks for clearing it up
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 04:37 PM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Ahh, i thought these are seperate tribes. I had this idea that filipine has many tribes and each has a form of kris! Thanks for clearing it up
Glad i could clear that up for you. There are indeed many tribes throughout the entire Pilippines, but the kris is really traditional to the Moro specifically. Each of the Moro tribes do have subtle specific differences in their kris and you do often find cross-over pieces that make exact origin ID difficult. Here is a passage from Wikipedia:
The Moros comprise of various ethnolinguistic groups in southern, and western Mindanao who are the same as other Filipinos, but whose religion is Islam. The largest of these are the Tausug, the Maguindanao, the Maranao, the Samal, the Yakan, and the Banguingui. These ethnolinguistic groups are different in terms of culture, religion, and have been politically independent. Muslim Filipinos have an independent justice, and education system based in Cotabato City. They form about 5% of the Philippine population, making them the sixth largest ethnic group in the country.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 11:04 PM   #33
Battara
EAAF Staff

Plus originally 73 different languages and tribes, although some of the languages are dying out.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote