Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2005, 09:55 AM   #31
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, what I was talking about it the style of the silverwork being contemporary, not the actual dating. I have seen replacement work done in older styles. You don't think that the stuff coming out as Balinese is actually from Bali recently?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 04:13 PM   #32
nechesh

Again i just need to clarify. Does your question refer to the blade or the dress? As for high quality keris blades, no, i don't believe the contemporary "Balinese" ones are actually being made on Bali. As for the contemporary "Balimese" sheaths like this one, i am not sure. I do know that the guy Mick sent this blade to for fitting does not live on Bali. I believe he is on Jawa. Now as far as i know he is not the mranggi who did this work. He may have then sent it over to Bali to be fitted but i wouldn't be surprised if he had some more local craftsmen available to him. Of course Bali is right next door, but i think the guy might live in Jakarta, which is clear across the other side of Jawa. With islands that lie so close and the obvious amount of free travel that must occur, especially in modern times when Indonesia is one multi-island nation, i'm not so sure it matters much. I would imagine you might find native Javanese living on Bali and visa versa. Anyway you slice it though, the new sheath made for Mick"s beautiful Balinese keris seems very appropriate regardless of where it was actually made an i wouldn't hesitate to call it "Balinese".
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote