Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Chris Evans

Default How Navajas Are Made

Hi Folks,

Here is a wonderful Spanish film on how classy navajas are hand crafted by a master cutler, using very basic tools. The naration is in Spasnish, but the pics say it all.

As can be seen, the process is extremely labor intensive and requires skills that take many years to acquire. And of course, this also explains for the very high prices that these hand made marvels command.

http://www.lacerca.com/videos/artesa...etena-156.html

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris Evans; 15th October 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Outstanding

Thanks Chris,

An outstanding insight into the old world methods used in the construction of these wonderful knives.
Even though I have wonderful examples continually going through my hands I do wish at one point or another to start collecting these again, to me their beauty is unsurpassed.
When one looks at the labour involved in creating a knife of that size in the video, one can only imagine how much time and effort is in the large Navaja in previous postings and the 90+cms piece below.
Not being fluent in the language Chris, were there any clear directions noted on the etching process when he put on his mask and poured in the magic solution?

Thanks again for the trip through time.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Chris Evans

Hi Gavin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Even though I have wonderful examples continually going through my hands I do wish at one point or another to start collecting these again, to me their beauty is unsurpassed.
I think that understand your sentiments perfectly - When it comes to folding knives, navajas have an unmatched mystique and beauty.

Quote:
When one looks at the labour involved in creating a knife of that size in the video, one can only imagine how much time and effort is in the large Navaja in previous postings and the 90+cms piece below.
You are spot on. As the video amply demonstrates, the manufacture of a traditional navaja is extremely labour intensive - The traditional Spanish cutlers relied on probably the cheapest labour in Western Europe and even so, given the antiquated technology used they could not compete and their industry went into severe decline, only to recover fairly recently.

Incidentally, the navaja's design was adopted by countries as diverse as India and Bohemia, the commonality being the prevalence of cheap labour and low-tech manufacturing. Even so, they abandoned the design by WWII.

Quote:
Not being fluent in the language Chris, were there any clear directions noted on the etching process when he put on his mask and poured in the magic solution?
No. He just emphasized the artisanship that involved every step.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26th October 2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Gonzalo G

Very nice documentary, Chris, thank you.
My best regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Chris Evans

Hi Gonzalo,

Thank you.

This is probably the most detailed account as to how navajas are made, on the net and that I have seen, . Of course, in books I have seen as good but not better.

The traditional Albacetean navaja is a wonderful example of what can be achieved with the most basic tools and, of course, skill.

Pity that these modern renditions of the theme are so darned expensive, on par with the antiques - Perhaps this is the reaon that these masterpieces are rarely seen outside of Spain.

Cheers
Chris
PS. Sent you a PM