Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Keris with long straight blade

Hi all, I am interested in knowing a little more about the piece with the long straight blade. I suspect that it may be an executioner's sword? I have pictured 2 others, which are probably just tourist items, in order to provide a size comparison for the longer one.
Regards, Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

Iliad,

Look for information under: Keris Bangkinang, keris Panjang/Long keris, execution(er's) keris/kris/kriss etc.

Here is a picture of one of mine with a similar blade and a picture of another with a similar hilt (sometimes referred to as Tapak Kuda/Horse's Hoof, Bunga Teratai, Kopeah Haji etc).

Best,
Attached Images

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 12th April 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 12:52 AM   #3
drdavid

Hi Bryan,
as Amuk says a quick search on the terms he listed will get you lots of information on this style.
As an aside I would not be too quick to dismiss your other pieces as 'probably just tourist items', they may not be top notch but they look to have a bit of age about them,could you post some full length pictures of the blades of these.
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 03:47 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
As an aside I would not be too quick to dismiss your other pieces as 'probably just tourist items', they may not be top notch but they look to have a bit of age about them,could you post some full length pictures of the blades of these.
DrD
I agree. Neither of these other keris are tourist items, though some might consider that the sheaths are modern and of a style normally associated with Balinese tourist keris. Even so they seem to be of a high standard of execution than most dress of this type. You should start a separate thread on these with some close-ups.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Iliad

Thank you for the replies. As regards the scabbards for the 2 smaller pieces, I now belatedly recall that the man I bought these from said that he bought the keris' without scabbards and at a later date acquired the scabbards. So, the pieces and the scabbards are quite unrelated.
I shall follow the advice and post the smaller pieces separately. If they are more than mere tourist items then of course I shall be delighted.
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote